Japanese Bantam Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenrandomness, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Hello all! :) We are SUPER new to Japanese, but my son has always wanted them since the first time he saw them in the SOP. SO...we bought 8 chicks, that were supposed to be 4 self blue and 4 grays. Well....LOL...I don't care, because the person I got them from is a friend, and she didn't know exactly what she had either, and because they are "just for fun"...they are about 8 weeks old now.

We ended up with one gray cockerel, one black cockerel, one black pullet, one blue pullet (VERY light blue, almost looks lavender, but has lacing) and three splash cockerels (one lighter, and two darker). (We lost one pullet along the way). We will be trying to get a couple of gray pullets along the way to go with our gray boy, and will breed the light blue pullet to the black cockerel to verify that she is indeed a very light laced blue and not an actual lavender. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicksrulefarm

Chicksrulefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Palmdale, CA
    I have white Japanese cockerel. He is not loud and high pitched like my other bantam rooster, but his crow in not completely quiet. It hardly can be heard in the front of the house because building block the noise, but it can be heard in the back. He doesn't crow that often and mostly he starts because the other roosters crow first. You can bring him inside for the night, or even keep him inside for the most part, and let him outdoors sometimes. My boy is not aggressive at all, but sometimes he doesn't want to be picked up. But at other times he will fly on my shoulder or even head and try to perch there. He likes to watch me what I am doing when he is inside the house. It is truly a pet chicken type. He does gets in fight with other roos but it is their normal behavior, and sadly he never wins, too short poor guy [​IMG] This breed flies well, so he likes to find some interesting places in the house to get comfortable.
    This is he, on the chandelier that was decorated with peacocks for the party. I looked for him for 10 minutes before I finally found him up there
    [​IMG]

And here he found another perfect perch.

[​IMG]

These little guys are full of personality and fun to keep as pets. I hope yours will be fairly quiet.[​IMG]

3. jockeyeba

jockeyeba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    San Antonio area
    The chandelier pic is too cute![​IMG]

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    [​IMG]

5. jockeyeba

jockeyeba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    San Antonio area
    Question: Are the Japanese hens usually good mothers? Mine is leaving her chicks to fend for themselves at night now & their only 3 1/2 weeks old.....

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Picked up more Japanese youngsters for my son. One more black cockerel (shorter legs than our other one) 2 light blue pullets, and 4 black pullets. My son already named the new cockerel Tofu! LOL The two oldest pullets he has named Tracy and Jessica....I'm not sure how Tofu fits into that, but whatever. [​IMG]

7. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Hmm..

8. tracysbantams

tracysbantams Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    East Tennessee
  9. lorijohnson823

lorijohnson823 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    Calhoun, KY
    I am currently raising just Silkies. I was thinking about adding a couple other Bantam breeds to my flock. Do you think Japanese Bantams would get along with my Silkies? I was also thinking about getting Bantam Polish Laced. Any suggestions would be great! Here is a couple pics of my Silkies. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. tracysbantams

tracysbantams Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I had silkies and Japanese bantams together with no problems. I don't know about Polish bantams. I never raised them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by