Japanese Bantam Thread!

Sorry; I don't know of any Oregon poultry breeders.
I especially like the White Japanese Black Tails . Each one has its own personality. They are flighty. A feature I like, but they only fly when they come to feed, or something spooks them out in the yard, and they only fly towards the safety of the barn. I let mine free range , but they seem to know not to stray far from the coop (up till now, that is). they make great little mamma's. They don't lay a lot of eggs, but when they are laying it's regular basis.

Cool! So, they aren't like "Stay away from me" flighty? They just fly a lot?

Cool! So, they aren't like "Stay away from me" flighty? They just fly a lot?
Kind of like. Hey; if I don't hurry to the scratch grain being scattered on the ground, I won't get any, and here they come like a covey of quail.
Generally they don't get over 4' in the air for less than 50 feet.
Now if something really terrified them they could probably do much more than what I've seen.

Kind of like. Hey; if I don't hurry to the scratch grain being scattered on the ground, I won't get any, and here they come like a covey of quail.
Generally they don't get over 4' in the air for less than 50 feet.
Now if something really terrified them they could probably do much more than what I've seen.

Okay. But when they aren't eating they're sweet?

Okay. But when they aren't eating they're sweet?
Mine are independent. Only had one rooster that was extra friendly. Always would hop up on my lap w/o any encouragement. I gave him away, as I had two other roos I wanted for my breeding stock. Only reason for not keeping him, is he had too many white feathers in his black tail.
I'm sure if they had someone who would spend time with them they would make great pets.

Most of mine are very tame.... and come running if they see me in the garden.. They all feed from my hand.. and some love being picked up and petted.. even the roosters. They are my pets and I spend a lot of time with them. If hatch egg and raise them in a brooder they get super tame. Even my hen raised ones are tame.. as their mothers are tame and I like to pick up and pet the cute chicks.

But like people, they are all different. I have a few that are more flighty and don't like to be touched.. but they are also moody with the other chickens... not getting close to them.

They can all fly really well.... very high and very far!!! When a dog got into the garden and chased them they flew over the house roof.. over the street.. over the large pond and up into some very tall trees. They were spooked all day and would fly around the area at the slightest disturbance.. and it took them several days to all come back to the coop.

But usually they act just like regular chickens.. and stay on the ground!!!

Most of mine are very tame.... and come running if they see me in the garden.. They all feed from my hand.. and some love being picked up and petted.. even the roosters. They are my pets and I spend a lot of time with them. If hatch egg and raise them in a brooder they get super tame. Even my hen raised ones are tame.. as their mothers are tame and I like to pick up and pet the cute chicks.

But like people, they are all different. I have a few that are more flighty and don't like to be touched.. but they are also moody with the other chickens... not getting close to them.

They can all fly really well.... very high and very far!!! When a dog got into the garden and chased them they flew over the house roof.. over the street.. over the large pond and up into some very tall trees. They were spooked all day and would fly around the area at the slightest disturbance.. and it took them several days to all come back to the coop.

But usually they act just like regular chickens.. and stay on the ground!!!

Cool! I have a tame sultan hen and once she hatches chicks I hope I can mess with them so they can be tame :)

Anybody on here from East Tennessee? I am looking for six Japanese Bantam eggs to hatch and want to drive to pick them up. If anyone knows of anyone please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Consultree, if you are wanting eggs from quality birds 6 really isn't enough as you can expect 25% of them to not hatch. Of the ones that hatch expect 33% to be culls due to long legs. You are looking at 2 or 3 chicks to keep assuming a 100% hatch on the eggs that will hatch.

/height/700[/IMG]
Went to visit my JBBA district director yesterday to talk birds and came home with these. They are still a little frazzled from the trip, and wobbly sitting on our hands, and my poor photographing ability. So you have to forgive them a little in these pics.

Back
Top Bottom