1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

japanese bantams!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Megs, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Hi all, I have several japanese bantams, and do not see them come up often as a topic, just wondering who else out there has them? i love these little bantams (right up there with cochins for personalitly/friendliness).

i have grey and black tailed whites. any critiques/photos appreciated, hard to find birds to compare to (though there is some club sites for them)

the photos are of birds i hatched or bought this spring. i bought a trio (roo/ 2 hens) and hatched some chicks from them (grew out 2 cockerals, 3 pullets)

rooster/hen trio i bought early this spring (photo from right after i got them).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

grey jap cockeral approx 3 months. (i hatched)
    [​IMG]

grey jap cockeral/pullet approx 4 months (i hatched) - comb was a little crooked at hatching but is getting straighter as he ages
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

grey jap cockeral/pullets approx 6 months (i hatched) CURRENT photo.
    [​IMG]

i plan to keep several groups (pair/trio) and continually breed for nicer! im quite happy with 2/3 of the parents and 2/5 offspring of the grey japanese.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I have black tail whites. I had to re-read (right up there with cochins for personalitly/friendliness) a few time to make sure i read it right, mine are terribly flighty and freak out at anything. Even the babies tend to always be more flighty than the other breeds I have. Mine are pretty to look at but thats about it.

oh and by the way yours are Beautiful!!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    stately birds.

4. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    pamperedpoultry- wow really? even the adult birds i bought from a breeder (she was a 4H girl, but even though she had a resonable ammt of birds they maybe had *some* handling) i rarely handle then but they are super sweet little birds! the "babies" that i hatched i rarely handle (even since they were little i have hardly handled at all) are very nice (albeit with so little handling i can only easily grab from perches, then run is a different matter, but as soon as i have them they dont fuss at all).

they are among my favorites! right up there with the 2 cochin varieties i breed (my sebrights are a different matter! the flightiest/nastiest birdsi have owned)

I am very surprised that they are not more popular where i live, but i guess due to their short stature they require a small ammt more work that other breeds, and in my exp dont lay nearly as well, as some of the other breeds i have (sebrights and d'uccles are excellent layers in my exp).

5. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I've got a trio of black-tailed whites. There were bunches at Ohio Nationals a couple of weeks ago. There were some really nice ones. I was surprised there were so many, but they're beautiful birds. ZooMummzy posted a link to pictures of the ones at the show on the Ohio Nationals thread. She got some pretty good pics of the birds at the show. Here's a link. Hope it works. It's on the last page of her Ohio Nationals album if it doesn't take you straight there.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zoomommy/sets/72157622750919825/?page=3

If not, here's a link to the Ohio Nationals thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131121&p=27

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    You have got a really beautiful trio there. Your roo is so [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

We have 2 all white hens, 1 silver pair, & a black tailed buff roo with 4 hens. JUST LOVE 'EM!

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    For a while I just had one black Japanese and one white tailed black hen. The black Jap is a roo and, I agree with Pampered, pretty flighty. The hen is not as bad. Since then however, I have hatched out a pair of black tailed white from shelley and they are almost grown and just yesterday went into a new cage with the btw hen. I also have several black Japs in the brooder and one small young hen who I just moved in with the black roo. The chicks don't seem too flighty(not like my Polish chicks, sigh) but we'll see how they do when they are older.
    By the way, I love your greys. I never realized they had that lacing on their breasts. Really lovely look. Going to have to get some greys next, lol.

9. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Nice looking Japs, especially that one grey pullet/hen.

Chicks that are parent raised will grow up to be little freaks, really skittish and flighty most of the time. [​IMG]

10. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:I've had some raised by hens and some that I raised in a brooder and I can't really tell a difference in their temperments at all. I've heard alot of others, even locally that say their jas are skittish and flighty. I'm wondering if thats one of the reason their not that popular. I personally got them for their looks, I've also noticed they dont lay as much as my others. Its bee 2-3 months since I've gotten an egg from my 4 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by