1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Varieties!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Stellar, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Pharaoh- the original color one would see in the wild, wild-type pattern, dominant

MALE:
    [​IMG]

FEMALE:
    [​IMG]

Jumbo Brown/Pharaoh- Pharaohs selectively bred to be larger
    [​IMG]

English White- homozygous for recessive white. Most have black or brown spotting (NOTE a gene or dominant white has been reported and that the homozygous birds are of low viability).

In photo on right...

[​IMG]

Texas A and M/Jumbo White- selectively bred from English white and Jumbo Pharaohs to produce large birds for the meat industry.

[​IMG]

Manchurian Golden- yellow gold with brown stripes. A single dominant gene for yellow changes wild type to Manchurian. The gene is lethal IF homozygous, there are light and dark tints to the Manchurian

MALE:
    [​IMG]

FEMALE:
    [​IMG]

Italian- beige to yellow with striated markings (v-marks in plummage).

MALE:
    [​IMG]

FEMALE:
    [​IMG]

Dark British Range- Also known as Tibetan. It looks like a dark chocolate bird with a white throat. Some have more white on them, some don't have white at all. Incomplete dominant.

[​IMG]

Rosetta- Also known as British Range. A combination of an English white and a Dark British Range. A lighter orange/tan color throughout body. The UK call them American Range. Incomplete dominant

[​IMG]

Silver- Not much known yet, incomplete dominant

Tuxedo- two colored pied pattern. This is a result of a combination of the genes for chocolate with genes for recessive white. Recessive

[​IMG]

Red Tuxedo- A new two colored pied pattern. Looks like a normal tux but the red replaces the chocolate. A combination of Range and English white.

[​IMG]

Red Range also known as cinnamon? (The real cinnamon is not here in the US yet, more orangy in color)

[​IMG]

Scarlett- Also known as Red Golden.. A nice red color with gold pinning. Incomplete Dominant

[​IMG]

"Roux" Dilute- A lighter color of the wild coturnix. Recessive Also known as Fawn

[​IMG]

Golden Tuxedo (still in the works)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    6 people like this.
  2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

This should be a sticky haha

Good Job Alexandra [​IMG]

3. Quailer21

Quailer21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Jupiter, Florida
    Thats awesome, but how do you tell the difference between a jumbo brown male or female?

4. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

You can tell by the breat coloring, the males breast is orange the females is not orange

1 person likes this.
  5. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    great job [​IMG]

6. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Do agree that this should be a sticky [​IMG] [​IMG]

What's the Japanese quail, or is that just another name for the wild/Pharoah type? I was never very sure on that [​IMG]

Thanks for posting this, very helpful indeed [​IMG]

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The Coturnix we all know is the Japanese quail, two names that are interchangeable [​IMG]

8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
  9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks TD, That sure helps me! [​IMG]

10. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Great pics! [​IMG]