Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Varieties!!!!

Nice
smile.png

In Katie Thear's book the Manchurian Golds and Italians are refer to as being the same but your pictures show that is not so.

Is it true the Manchurians were developed in the US by Marsh Farms?

Do they both have a lethal gene?

Breed an Italian Gold male that hatched from Stellar eggs to 7 Jumbo White females and got some great color varieties including Italian females, fawns and ?fawn tuxs? (cute but have not seen or read about anything like them). They are two weeks old but thats what they look like. Not one white which just goes to show that white is recessive.

What variety do you normally breed golds to avoid the lethal gene?

Katie Thear's book is really incorrect. The Manchurians were developed by Marsh farms but are long gone. The Manchurian has little markings compared to its cousin the Italian and what is known about it currently is that it takes the homozygous form of the fawn mutation. The males have a rusty head and breast and slight stripping over a cream base. The hens are pretty much yellow with minimal stripping.

You can breed golds with browns to avoid the lethal genes a bit better.

I included one of the mutations I am working on.

Ok, here are the best shots I've got...... I haven't mastered photographing quail yet, the buggers don't hold still at all lol

Wild type silver male(my personal fave out of all my silvers, he is just sooo purdy and so sweet!
tongue.png
big_smile.png
)
quailandsheep035.jpg

quailandsheep033.jpg

and 2 wild type silver pied hens with a regular wild type hen
quailandsheep041.jpg

Are these the bleu's or actually silver? I was reading on that silver is really lethal and that the males look like whites. They are gorgeous nonetheless
love.gif

on the uk board i was told they are silvers. it is lethal if you breed the silvers together. but silver paired with a non-silver gives you silvers and non-silvers of both genders. males do seem to be fewer. Most silvers I have hatched so far were female, this was my first silver male and the breeder I got them from also gets mainly hens.

Back
Top Bottom