Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Varieties!!!!

my understanding is blue is the result of silver +charcoal... charcoal i think is something involving british range....

I haven't seen anything happening on that board in 2 years, it has literally died. Posted some questions 6 or so months ago and no one even viewed them.....

One interesting thing I have noticed witht he silvers is the colour difference between the males and the females. The males are always a very light powder blue while the females have a much more steel grey/dark blue cast to them. I have noticed that both on the silver tuxedos and silver wild types.

As for blue. I wonder if they call silver ranges -blue since that is almost a solid blue bird. The silver tuxes with minimal white are great to look at since the blue has no striping or pattern on it like with the wild type silvers where you see the stippling etc.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am a little confused with this. Does the Manchurian Gold type no longer exist, or is it just the original birds? I love all the genetic stuff, but it is really confusing. I also just recently bought Katie Thear's book. Is there any other errors in there I should be aware of?
smile.png

The button quail info is off... She refers to them as Coturnix. The colors in the actual coturnix are ok. She just didn't know about certain color genetics. Manchurian and Italians can pop up in a batch of gold eggs as The range colors pop up (Rosetta/tibettan).

The info in the book other than the color section, housing and such: helps a newbie... I do not remember if it said cbbq were housed in pairs (the photos do not show it). We just need an updated book on Coturnix, that's all
smile.png

Quote:
Seems you would be a good candidate. I have a few different colored coturnix but I don't know the names like you do. I know the easy ones heck I can't even pronounce half the names. I'm not into the breeding of special birds as you are. These hillbilly's where I live don't have a clue.

Quote:
I think she only refers to them as Coturnix as in they are in the same family Coturnix Coturnix chinensis
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom