Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Varieties!!!!

Pics
Good evening Quailers: I have a question about the red gene inheritance. A little background on why, first.

I had a roux/red/cinnamon tuxedo hen (redder than anything I've seen online) from a local breeder but she was the only red he had and she later died. I loved the color and have 2 sets of chicks from her. Unfortunately, I made no photos of her. I was a bit disappointed with the egg size she laid, but she weighed in @ 300 grams. I hope to breed the red up from the 2 sets of hatched chicks.

I've looked at the online inheritance chart and typed in all kinds of scenarios, but it seems red is hard to achieve.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingFlex...x;Tibetan SF;Red (SF);,C;RP;Roux;Tibetan;Red;

The first batch of chicks were all dark British Range (now 12 weeks old) with some being Tuxedo. I have no idea of the male heritage.

The second batch of chicks ( has just begun to lay @ 43 days) from her and a true breeding Italian Male (true as much as I can determine) hatched out dark-headed Italian males, red-headed Italian males, Italian hens, dark Tuxedo British Range and Pharoah colored.

Ideas about where I should go with these chicks to get either solid Red or Tuxedo Red ????

Thanks, Gary

Thanks Gary, that does help. Im assuming the person who sold me the eggs from his low percentage blue producers. I probably have two females. I will notice.

Im looking for eggs with a higher percentage probability of producing blue offspring. Do you know where I might purchase them?

In my search for blue/silver coturnix quail eggs I ran into the term "blue scale". What does this mean?

Im not a breeder, just into quail for the fun of having them as pets. This is why Im interested in blue eggs that will more than likely produce blue offspring.

My plan is to house them with a variety of white, pharaoh and golden rather than cage them separately for breeding.

new world quail = they are a completely different species from coturnix, which are old world quail. Try googling them, they look a bit like the valley quails, with a different head..

Back
Top Bottom