Japanese jumbo quail colour questions

Rollyfrog

Chirping
Feb 14, 2022
Hi, i am new to quails and just got a bunch of 2 week old babies to start.
I think I have a handle on the feather seeing and should be good to vent sex the silvers I have once they reach maturity, however we have one that I don't know if it's an Italian and can be feather sexed or will need to be vent sexed? It looks exactly like its italian siblings except none of the dark markings? Any more experienced opinions very much welcome!!
I know in the pics the floor needs to be cleaned 😅 I also tried to get a pic from top and chest

Attachments

• 20220214_170435.jpg
    20220214_170435.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220214_170643.jpg
    20220214_170643.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 8
It looks autumn amber fee. Is it the front facing one in the second pic? If so, I believe it’s male.

Yes front facing in second pic. It's one I really wanted to keep so of course it going to be male 😂
In the center of the chest it looks like pale peach is coming in, which is what the chest color would probably be in a roux fee male. Also, I’ve found that birds with white or light colored chests that have a very noticeable white shaft like that, are males, it’s not as guaranteed as regular feather sexing, but I’ve noticed a definite difference in the feather shaft of males and females as they feather, by comparing my sex link tuxedos at early ages.

Just wanted to add an updated pic of this chick incase anyone else is like me and scourers posts looking at info.
He is 5 weeks old today and I'm 90% sure male, no foam yet though. He was the smallest but also added the same amount of weight as the rest of the chicks, 100grams in 2 weeks between 2 and 4 weeks old :)
20220305_154237.jpg

Just wanted to add an updated pic of this chick incase anyone else is like me and scourers posts looking at info.
He is 5 weeks old today and I'm 90% sure male, no foam yet though. He was the smallest but also added the same amount of weight as the rest of the chicks, 100grams in 2 weeks between 2 and 4 weeks old :) View attachment 3014351
Yes he looks to be male, it isn’t uncommon for roux birds to be a bit smaller than their siblings.

I had heard that the Italian were smaller than Pharaoh but didn't know that about roux

I had heard that the Italian were smaller than Pharaoh but didn't know that about roux
I’m my experience Italians are as big if not bigger than pharaoh. The most common jumbos will be pharaoh, jumbo white, and Italian from what I’ve seen. There’s something about roux that seems to make them smaller, same with range pattern, but not all of them. I have a group of chicks where there’s 2 scarlets and they’re very small, but the 2 autumn ambers (roux + Italian) are huge. I think there’s a lot of good size in Italians because many large hatcheries have bred Italians to jumbo size, and less of the hatcheries have bred range to larger size. That being said though, I got some very large various roux hens from k dale.

Back
Top Bottom