Japanese Quail Color Calculator- Best Link

just thinking...

I think the one underlying commonality is the actual "color code", what they look like depends on what the code is, what we call them is the rub...

we should just call them what they are...

Wh+Wh+ Br+Br+ yw+ yw+ e+e+ pi+pi+

Wh+Wh+ Br+Br+ Yw yw+ e+e+ pi+pi+

Wh+Wh+ Br+Br+ Yw Yw e+e+ pi+pi+

red range Wh+Wh+ brbbrb Ywyw+ EE pi+pi+
Red breeds true including red range tux

from what I can gather...

scarlet does not breed true

true "scarlet" is actually scarlet (italian)

"scarlet" is SF for Yellow and SF for "tibetan" Wh+Wh+ brb brb Ywyw+ Ee+ pi+pi+

2 (SF) (heterozygous) makes for "split" pairs on two colors = many combos

scarlet= scarlet (italian) is a red range that is heterozygous for yellow (italian) where a "homozygous yellow (manchurian) red range" is actually a scarlet manchurian

scarlet manchurians
Wh+Wh+ brb brb YwYw Ee+ pi+pi+
Scarlet Manchurian
will breed truer than scarlet (italians) because they are homozygous on the yellow gene, no "split" pairs except the Ee+ gene. = less possible combos.

Primary

Wh+Wh+ Br+Br+ yw+yw+ e+e+ pi+pi+
Wildtype Brown

Wh+wh Br+Br+ yw+yw+ e+e+ pi+pi+
Wildtype
split: White(wh)

whwh Br+Br+ yw+yw+ e+e+ pi+pi+
White

Wh+Wh+ Br+brb yw+yw+ e+e+ pi+pi+
Wildtype
split: Roux(brb)

Wh+Wh+ brbbrb yw+yw+ e+e+ pi+pi+
Roux

Wh+Wh+ Br+Br+ YwYw e+e+ pi+pi+
Manchurian

Wh+Wh+ Br+Br+ Ywyw+ e+e+ pi+pi+
Italian

Wh+Wh+ Br+Br+ yw+yw+ EE pi+pi+
Tibetan

Wh+Wh+ Br+Br+ yw+yw+ Ee+ pi+pi+
Tibetan SF

Secondary

Wh+Wh+ brbbrb YwYw e+e+ pi+pi+
Roux Manchurian

Wh+Wh+ brbbrb Ywyw+ e+e+ pi+pi+
Roux Italian

Wh+Wh+ Br+Br+ Ywyw+ Ee+ pi+pi+
Rosetta

Wh+Wh+ Br+Br+ YwYw Ee+ pi+pi+
Manchurian Rosetta

We have been pouring over scrolls from the ancients and we have taught ourselves. I have spoken with Robbie at JamesMarie farms numerous times, Tonya, MilleB, BFrancis, Mo, Shicken, Digger. we have put this together.

maybe doing it this way will help solve the mystery... it is simple math, nothing more, all "Heinz 57" colors have already been accounted for, there are no special recipes...

The Ancient's USA Coturnix Colormap revealed.

.................... Wildtype ..... ..... Heterozygous ..... ..... ..... Homozygous(recessive)
White Loci;... Wh+ Wh+= (wildtype)..... Wh+ wh (white split) ......... wh wh (white)
Brown Loci;... Br+ Br+=(wildtype) ..... ... Br+ brb (roux split) ........... brb brb (roux=diluted brown)
Yellow Loci;... yw+ yw+=(wildtype) ..... Yw yw+ (fawn split=Italian) ........ Yw Yw (manchurian)
Red Loci; ......e+ e+=(wildtype) ..... ... E e+ (tibetan SF= tibetan split) ..... E E (Tibetan)
Pied Loci;..... pi+ pi+=(wildtype) ..... . Pi pi+ (pied split= tuxedo) ........... Pi Pi (pied)

now you can pick one from each loci, and you can have a (wildtype)(roux)(italian)(tibetan split)(wildtype)= (scarlet italian) ta-da!

eta. thanks to the original developer of the color calculator. henk69
bow.gif

Last edited:
Scarlett is the Rosetta and and roux dilute combination not Tibetan. If you breed to Italians or manchurians you will get autumn ambers. If you put scarletts together, red range in another pen, the results are more true. The issue is finding new blood as not many people have them or they colony breed colors together. Possibly standards will help and many are working on that.

the rosetta carries the tibetan SF gene and italian gene, so yes when you cross it to the roux you get scarlets, you just dont have your starting colors pure... rosetta is a split bird...

Rosetta

crossed with a Roux

Roux

you do get scarlet, but only because you get the half italian and half tibetan from the rosetta

Wh+Wh+ brbbrb Ywyw+ Ee+ pi+pi+
Scarlet

because scarlet is homozygous roux, heterozygous fawn, and heterozygous tibetan

rosetta is heterozygous fawn and heterozygous tibetan and so is not a pure color and will not breed true.

Yes, that's correct. Still a very pretty color and at least we can improve on size with them more or less. I have been putting them in separate color pens and although, like you mentioned they don't breed true, I have been getting a better success when like colors are placed together. It's like the Blue andulsian gene, there will be a percentage. It's what makes coturnix a nice bird to work with.

the rosetta carries the tibetan SF gene and italian gene, so yes when you cross it to the roux you get scarlets, you just dont have your starting colors pure... rosetta is a split bird...

Rosetta

crossed with a Roux

Roux

you do get scarlet, but only because you get the half italian and half tibetan from the rosetta

Wh+Wh+ brbbrb Ywyw+ Ee+ pi+pi+
Scarlet

because scarlet is homozygous roux, heterozygous fawn, and heterozygous tibetan

rosetta is heterozygous fawn and heterozygous tibetan and so is not a pure color and will not breed true.

+1 Thanks man for making this easy enough for me to understand... You rock!!

All colors of coturnix originate from the wild pharaoh. So by saying the rosetta is a split, they all are splits. The roux spontaneously evolved from the wild pharaoh, but other than that, all colors were created from one. The codes from the link is nice, I like it, but people like simple so I tend to talk that way on the forum. It's nice having someone else interested in color though. If you need to chat, let me know. Lots of people are working together on standards. This is good! Coturnix deserves one too.

its tough but not really rocket science, shingling a hip roof is just as hard. it took me awhile to learn all the friggin slang names people come up with for the secondary and tertiary "split" birds.

but think about it, someone should be able to tell you exactly what their birds color blueprint is? there are only so many combos of colors here in the US given what we have to work with.

I can tell you my 2nd generation Jumbo Brown (white split) birds are

Wh+wh Br+Br+ yw+yw+ e+e+ pi+pi+
Wildtype
split: White(wh)

so, in order to get what color you want, you only need to know what the Quail Color Recipe is...then for secondary colors cross birds that are homozygous for those traits. the secondary colors like "Rosetta", a bird that is wildtype on 3 of the 5 loci, you need to cross a Tibetan (homozygous EE) with a Manchurian (homozygous YwYw) all the birds will get one copy of the tibetan E gene from hen and 1 copy of fawn gene from cockbird. making them Ywyw+ at the yellow (italian) and Ee+ at the red (tibetan SF)

giving each bird heterozygous alleles on the red and yellow loci and wildtype on all others = rosetta, and more slang specifically a "italian rosetta"

rosettas or "scarlets" to italians again, birds heterozygous on several loci will pop out many different patterns. with the the manchurian being the truer cross and not spitting out any birds without the fawn gene (Yw), rosetta to italian leaves you a 25% chance the birds will have no fawn gene and be wildtype at the yellow loci (yw+yw+)

thats enough for today...

Back
Top Bottom