Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica) the monster bird

It's like being a middle school principal. Looking at it in a more positive light though, you're not required to reenroll the problem child. In fact, kitty prefers it when I don't. [fiendishly licks its whiskers and purrs]

The experts on this forum can offer a number of tips and tricks to make raising quail easier, but it will never be "easy."

I'm not an expert, but. . .

One piece of expert advice I received that I can't stress enough, if you're raising them as a hobby and for pleasure (as opposed to, say, doomsday protein), distractions are incredibly important.

IMHO, they don't call them bird-brains for nothing. Preoccupied hens ignore the roo violently wriggling on top of them and pulling on their necks. Bored hens get angry, fight back and often injure themselves in the process. (Sometimes though, regardless of what you do they just don't mesh and they have to be separated.)

Hiding places are also important, as is enough real estate. Also, as you've noted, they often discriminate. I've stopped breeding white because a roo with desired traits simply can't stand birds with any significant amount of white on them. My lone white lives with the tuxedos that were also rejected by him.

Oh, and sandbaths. Sandbaths make everything better.

They're a lot like humans. They like change, but not too much of it. They usually get something different every day, perhaps some veggies thrown in, perhaps a plant -- or if they're lucky, a plant with fresh dirt they can dig into. Sometimes they get bugs to eat. Sometimes I rearrange the dividers. Different bedding and surfaces also make them happy. And did I mention sandbaths? I'm not sure what it is about sandbaths, but the birds always emerge seeming like they just got a spa treatment.

I'm not an expert, but. . .

One piece of expert advice I received that I can't stress enough, if you're raising them as a hobby and for pleasure (as opposed to, say, doomsday protein), distractions are incredibly important.

IMHO, they don't call them bird-brains for nothing. Preoccupied hens ignore the roo violently wriggling on top of them and pulling on their necks. Bored hens get angry, fight back and often injure themselves in the process. (Sometimes though, regardless of what you do they just don't mesh and they have to be separated.)

Hiding places are also important, as is enough real estate. Also, as you've noted, they often discriminate. I've stopped breeding white because a roo with desired traits simply can't stand birds with any significant amount of white on them. My lone white lives with the tuxedos that were also rejected by him.

Oh, and sandbaths. Sandbaths make everything better.
What would you recommend if it was for "doomsday protein?" Also, would keeping them in closer proximity to regular human activity help with boredom?

Do you have pictures of your setup? I have had a few scalpings, but not nearly on the scale that you're describing. I've put a couple pictures of my setup below. I move mine around my yard, they get to dig through my garden beds during fall/winger.
0913201008.jpg
ZucchiniQuail.jpg

Back
Top Bottom