Japanese vs. Serama

apc

Songster
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Chickland, Il
So is it just me or do the hens tend to look similiar? Is there an easier way to better identify them?
I will admit I havent had seramas very long, nor do I know alot about them.

Japanese( picture taken from Dipsy Doodle Doo's page)
344946955.jpg

Serama(at least I was "told" she was by a breeder)
mottled.jpg

Last edited:
In theory, Japaneses have shorter legs and Seramas have larger chests. Of course, that is in theory. In real life, there are some very bad quality specimens of both breeds. And you are right, that Serama has a striking resemblance to those Japanese bantams.

And its not just this hen (who seems to have a longer back) , I have several other mottled seramas (these ones i know are pure) and they seem to resemble them as well. Hm. Was the japanese bantam used as one of the bantams to create the serama?

Last edited:
Quote:
How do you know they're pure?

I purchased them from a reputable breeder (he only shows and breeds Seramas, and has excellent references)

Quote:
How do you know they're pure?

I purchased them from a reputable breeder (he only shows and breeds Seramas, and has excellent references)

Which one?

I'd have to look his information up again, I can't seem to find it on hand. He is located in IL.
The hen in question was however not purchased from him.
I was simply wanting to know the difference between Japanese and Serama characteristics (I dont want to flame the breeder).

Quote:
Relax! I'm not flaming anyone, I'm just curious!
smile.png

And I'd still like to know who the breeder is.

Quote:
Relax! I'm not flaming anyone, I'm just curious!
smile.png

And I'd still like to know who the breeder is.

I'll try to get his information tonight if I can find it (I know he was at the Ohio show as well).
I'll also try to take a better picture of this hen in comparisson to one of my other hens.

Back
Top Bottom