Japanmese Bantam culls?

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
I hatched out 6 Japanese Bantams (Barred Tailed white) and 4 out of 6 seem to have long legs. They are 2 weeks old now. Should I sell off the long legged guys and only keep the shorties?

I'm trying to remember exactly how this works... But I'm pretty sure that if you want to show, you can only show the short leggeds. But if you breed short leg to short leg most of them die, that's why breeding short legs to long legs is important.

There is some very good information & references on the Creeper gene in both Crawford (pp 223-224) & Hutt (pp 58-63) books. It seems Cp has been a favourite topic for W. Landuaer, with decades of study on the subject. There are many articles published by him over the years. Some other interesting genes are Cl (short-legged Cornish lethal) & Mp (Ametapodia). These 2 have similar traits to Cp, with reduction to leg length & lethal when homozygous. Mp is found on the same chromosome as Creeper, but not as closely linked to Rosecomb gene as Cp is. It is a more debilitating gene, with heterozygotes (Mp/mp) badly deformed. There is another semi-lethal gene affecting leg length shl (Shankless).

The chapters on the short-legged Cornish (Cl) gene are a very good read. Studies have found that more than one gene was responsible for the short-legged phenotype in Cornish. Intermediate leg lengths were produced in F1 crosses with Leghorns, but offspring in the 2nd generation (F2) ranged from short-legged to some that were longer-legged than the parent (P1) leghorns.​

I did a re-count and I have 2 long legged and 4 short. So that is better anyway.
I think I might keep a long legged roo with short hens in the breeding program. My short legged roo sems to have a hard time breeding his hens. I think a longer legged roo might do better.
Thanks for the info.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom