Java Green Peafowl

We were told mid-forties was good. We have a quartz heater mounted on the ceiling and pointed down at the roost. It is plugged into a therm. that kicks it on if the room drops below 45 and turns it off if it gets above 50. Works great until we have a power outage, then I guess old Fred will be sleeping in the bed w/ DH and I.
That is a nice setup!

Here is my young java female. Her yellow patch is brightening substantially as she ages.

Help! My Green peacock has something on his neck! No feathers and a white scale! If he had mites the rest of the birds would have it too, they don't! Here is a pix!

Help! My Green peacock has something on his neck! No feathers and a white scale! If he had mites the rest of the birds would have it too, they don't! Here is a pix!
If he acts fine then i would guess the birds are eating his feathers, its common with green peachicks to have missed feathers on their necks because their shinning feathers will attract other birds to eat them.

Hello
I am new to peafowl. Just received my first juvenile pair of java greens from a well known breeder. The birds are beautiful, however their faces are very pale yellow versus the bright yellow I would expect from this breed. I asked the breeder about this and he claimed the yellow would become substantionally more pronounced as the birds mature or their diet is adjusted. These fowl are about 12 months old and were sold to me as pure java greens, muticus muticus. Your opinions based on experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have also noticed it changes throughout the year. My spaulding were bright yellow February and are pretty dull now.

I have also noticed it changes throughout the year. My spaulding were bright yellow February and are pretty dull now.
This is normal, closed before moulting the plumage is worn out and dull by the sun. You can see alter clear the new feathers which are much more colourful compared to the old once.

female Young male ... will be 2 years old in June 2016

The question is .... peahens change all the feathers each year?
.... I ' m not sure !

Back
Top Bottom