Java Thread

Pics
Quote:
I've never seen a Java chick with that coloration: unless, perhaps, you have the 'so-called' Auburns.

I have never seen a pureblood java chick hatch with that coloration either..in fact, I have never seen any chick hatch with that coloration.
Cute little guy though!!
I must edit to add: That really is a pretty chick, seriously, I would band that one and watch it as it grows up...and find out the sire & dam..

Last edited:
I honestly don't know her blood lines, just the she is a chick from some Java's that are in the line of Lyle's birds. So she goes back to those Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.

Here are some pics of her from this afternoon.

I love her neck
51397_chicks_and_craiglist_march_015.jpg

another angle
51397_chicks_and_craiglist_march_012.jpg

3rd angle
51397_chicks_and_craiglist_march_010.jpg

Quote:
The only ways I know what eggs comes from what hens are:

1) by egg color and that is not an exact science
2) seeing a hen in a box and finding one egg....sometimes 8-10 eggs are in a box

Two hens I know for sure, 1) my easter egger that lays mint green eggs and 2) I have a RIR mix that lays a super dark cherry egg
My Java's and my Barred Rocks lay lighter eggs, my SLW lay a slightly darker egg and my sex-links lay a brown egg.

At times there are 18 eggs in he nest boxes and I would say about 10 different shades of brown and one green.

When I is a bit warmer, I will put all my Java's in one pen and hatch all Java eggs

Quote:
Lyle let my neighbor borrow a "Auburn Java Roo" and some black java hens and a few hens that were black and auburn mixed. Both my Sgt. Pepper and Goldilocks are from these birds. I think Sgt. Pepper came from a hatch or two before Goldilocks.

I am hoping that this:

51397_chicks_and_craiglist_march_012.jpg

plus this:

51397_pepper_and_gold_004.jpg

= this:
51397_chicks_and_craiglist_march_006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom