Java Thread

I couldn't leave my feed store without these two mottled java gals.... They both have 5 toes....is this normal for Javas? I am slowly reading this thread, so I apologize if I duplicate questions. Thanks!

No, Javas do not have 5 toes - my guess is they are crossed with something. Not necessarily the parents but somewhere in it's ancestry. Which is not uncommon from birds originating from hatcheries.

I couldn't leave my feed store without these two mottled java gals.... They both have 5 toes....is this normal for Javas?  I am slowly reading this thread, so I apologize if I duplicate questions. Thanks!

They are mottled Houdans, not Javas.

They are mottled Houdans, not Javas.

For those who don't check feet, these would have been hard to miss. 5 toes!

Sunday, May 11th is the Rare Breed show at Garfield Farm and Inn Museum at LaFox. Tim from Museum of Science and Industry will be there with Black Java chicks! Can't wait!

Anyone else from here going? Need to add a new cockerel to the flock. It's been 4yrs now with the same cockerel line. He's good....just hoping to improve some of the SOP with the hens. Hens are getting smaller despite having larger male over them. So I'm off to get chicks! Brooder is ready and waiting....now I just need the chicks!

I just picked up a Mottled Java from a poultry swap yesterday. She is quite gorgeous! She is VERY shy though and has spent all of today hiding. Is this normal for the breed? I admit she was a bit of an impulse buy, I do not know much of anything about Javas! The pullet I got is 4 months old.

My girl and her sister, who my friend took home. Mine is in the back of this picture.

In her run

I would say it's normal for any new bird who has been taken out of her old environment. You don't mention if you have a flock of your own or if this bird will be integrating into your own flock. If so, and it might be too late already, you should isolate her for several weeks to avoid introducing a pathogen into your flock.

Back
Top Bottom