Java Thread

This is my Java cockerel. He prefers the bigger hens I have. BTW, I have three Java pullets, 1 just hatched a couple of mix eggs, 1 is sitting on 4 Silkie eggs and (I think) a Java egg. They other pullet lays pretty regular. I will be separating them eventually .

Hi all. I got test hatching eggs from Hathor March 2015. This is the cockerel I chose to keep. I call him Bart and he's shown here with one of my Dorking hens. Anyhow, I kept 3 Java hens from the hatch, placed a couple of the others that I'd hatched out. One Java has disappeared, one is raising a brood of white Dorking for me, the third is laying....

Experiencing a gentle, giant rooster has been an absolute pleasure, and this year I have 6 or 7 cockerels from him to evaluate.

These are 2 of Barts' daughters. They have nice size and very dark eyes.

Here's one of my potential keepers. I like him because he's very gentle. His eyes aren't as dark as some.

Hi all. I got test hatching eggs from Hathor March 2015. This is the cockerel I chose to keep. I call him Bart and he's shown here with one of my Dorking hens. Anyhow, I kept 3 Java hens from the hatch, placed a couple of the others that I'd hatched out. One Java has disappeared, one is raising a brood of white Dorking for me, the third is laying.... Experiencing a gentle, giant rooster has been an absolute pleasure, and this year I have 6 or 7 cockerels from him to evaluate. These are 2 of Barts' daughters. They have nice size and very dark eyes. Here's one of my potential keepers. I like him because he's very gentle. His eyes aren't as dark as some.
They're beautiful

Can anyone tell me if this is an Auburn Java? We got 2 of them at a local auction.
*Auburn Javas* are not breeding true as often as the long accepted SOP color varieties of Javas. The man that created them, and has been working on them for approx. 10 years, does have birds that have a more uniform color appearance, but most people's *Auburn Javas* do not have as uniform appearance. Recognizing a bird as a breed also means that they have other physical characteristics that go beyond feather color and that most of the birds will exhibit these other physical characteristics. You can't go simply by feather color when trying to determine a chicken breed.

There is no telling what parentage these birds have, they could be non-standard examples of a number of breeds or simply mutt chickens. These birds do not meet the criteria for being a recognized color variety of Java and their coloring is not consistent with the *Auburn Javas* that the creator of the birds has developed and written into his own standard of what his line of birds should look like.

Is it considered more difficult to breed towards a correct comb or a dark eye? My cockerels seem to have one or the other. The combs have a little ruffle on the very rear, and the eyes are medium brown.

Is it considered more difficult to breed towards a correct comb or a dark eye? My cockerels seem to have one or the other. The combs have a little ruffle on the very rear, and the eyes are medium brown.

Comb is more difficult. Concentrate on it before you worry too much about eye color.

Back
Top Bottom