Java Thread

Pics
happy this thread is still active!

how is everyone's black javas doing? my roo is still fabulous, going strong, and all eggs are still coming out fertile (he's with 10 girls). but two of my ladies look awful--molting in a big way.

here's a couple pics of my roo, but he's about 6 months older now and even prettier his comb looks dubbed--he got frostbite his first winter and the tips froze off (before i got him).
0319101805-01.jpg

DSCI1767.JPG

this guy has marigold colored feet on the bottom, and the dark slate shanks that are preferred. you can see the yellow feet in one of the pics in the slideshow. he has all his long tailfeathers now, and is just the cock of the walk. he also sits on eggs if no "wimmen" are around, all the while hollering at them to come do it.
smile.png

here's a bunch of pics of my birds, click to see a slideshow:
http://picasaweb.google.com/uuffdre/Javas?authkey=Gv1sRgCI-v6KW8_ZXRTg#slideshow/5455960569140079202
(please note: one of these pics includes a black australorp cross hen with white in hackles...this is not a java. also, i had just dusted with DE and it was sprinkling, so there are a few white bits on some of the feathers--my birds are pure black, not mottled).

i have to say i have seen a LOT of pumpkin/bay colored eyes in all the pics of BJs that have been posted. someone may have noted this, but the eye should be a deep, dark, brown, almost black. very striking and beautiful color.

i am having a bit of a breeding dilemma...i have one hen who has always been smaller, laid a lighter color, smaller egg than her sisters. she has laid right through the molt! i tallied up my excel data from the year (they started laying around feb 1) and she has outperformed my brown leghorns, my EE, and my RSL--5.75 eggs/week on average for the last 9 months!

i am a little challenged by how to handle her in my breeding program. she's great, but not up to my personal standards of trying to keep a good size to my BJs--and the smaller. lighter toned eggs bother me. then again, the rate of lay has been so phenomenal! and i did hear back from test hatchers here that her chicks were robust and in one case, actually the biggest of all three hen's hatchlings, even from the smaller eggs, which surprised me.

i guess the best thing is to disclose, disclose, disclose, and make sure anyone who gets eggs from me knows about her good and "bad" traits and also make sure they get a variety of my hen's eggs, not too heavy on hers. that way, they can do their own work in deciding what is a good or bad trait for their own flock! hard to argue with about 6 eggs/week though, from what i know is a good purebred bird, despite her size and smaller eggs.

how is everyone else doing? can't wait to go back and read what is up with everyone--been a while since i visited the thread.

Last edited:
i am really puzzled by all the white earlobes i have seen in the pics of BJs. that flock shown n the first few pages of this thread...kept by "King" someone...i saw lots of white ears there. (or is it just my monitor?)

i have not seen anything but red earlobes in my birds, nor in the pictures/publications i am familiar with. the wikipedia article also says red for BJs... in my birds, and in the large flock of birds i bought from, there was not a white ear to be seen. (John Tunstall line) only in my one BJXBL cross have i seen one. not trying to say anyone else's pics show crosses instead of purebreds! am i way off base? always open to learning more...

this is interesting about the comb and points. "It is interesting to note that the Java's single comb is a symbol of the purity of its bloodline. The comb should not have a point to far forward on the comb, it should be located above the eye. This point placement also indicates that the single combed bird came from a pea-comb origin."
that is from the breed pages here on BYC BUT i have read it in numerous places.

where exactly is the SOC listed? i used to have it saved but this is a new computer...

here is an old copy of the SOP...http://books.google.com/books?id=1H...ient=firefox-a#v=onepage&q=black java&f=false
at least at the time this was published, any white in earlobes was a DQ. now we are all trying to make the best of what we have to work with, so no judgment. i am positive my birds have their own flaws.

Last edited:
On the Yahoo Java thread, I asked about egg size as I had read previously it reported medium, a few large. I would be interested in addressing this on this thread too as to the size of your eggs. One of the responses said Javas meat was tough comparing it to an Orp butchered at the same age. So I'll ask those here. Is the Java meat a bit tough, and if so, at what age?

my hens lay large EXCEPT my one smaller hen, who lays what i guess is medium. here is a pic...

first pic includes an eggland's best large egg from the store (#1, in the middle, with red stamp) for comparison.
#2 and #3 are javas, and my smaller egg is #4.
DSCI5436.JPG

second pic includes large java egg (minerva) and smaller (medium?) java egg (maeve).
DSCI1652.JPG

Last edited:
Evening to all...nice job with your post haTHOR, and a high five for your hands on experience. I'm a get my own opinion too. The standard is the mean. Pics don't always display the true colors. It'sall about true color and shape. I would keep all the hens, and chose which are bred for chicks...the rest are healthy eggs for food and just a healthy environment with other qualities that could make a flock nicer some way. Giving the birds a chance to develop is priceless, once you see how they actually develop. Most folks have a short window to watch...the later window after molts is eye opening for sure.
Have Fun, Stay Safe... ~ bigzio

Hello to all Java lovers.

I just found this Java Thread and subscribed. I am a novice to the workings of posting on the forum so please bare with me. lol
A little history about me and my Javas. I bought my first Black Java hatching eggs from Ron Pierce of Rhode Island in 2001 and out of a dozen eggs 9 chicks hatched. The love affair started there and then. I combined bloodlines from Ron Pierce, Garfield Farms Museum and a few other people who had similar stock. Over the years my Black Java flock produced 4 - 4H Fair GrandChampion Roosters and 2 pairs of GrandChampion Production Hens. Over the years since I have had anywhere from a dozen Javas to 50 or 60 birds running around my yard.

Then 2.5 years ago my husband and I moved from our farm in Southeastern Indiana to Central Indiana for a new job he took. I left my Java flock with my daughter-in-law, who loves silkies. A year ago we moved to Louisville, KY and my flock was given to the care of my daughter who is not a poultry-lover, she likes dogs. Now my husband and I will be moving back to our farm and I only have two older Black Java hens left of my original flock. A friend who had a son of my first Black Javas has allowed me to borrow him to try and re-establish my flock of Black Javas.

My project: using two older 4+ year old hens and breed them with an 8 year old rooster to re-establish my original Black Java bloodlines. Well the girls started laying this week after their fall molt, so I put the rooster with the girls yesterday and they think he is the Romeo of their world. lol Since this guy has been without any hens for a while (a couple years) it's love all around. He has been gently courting his new ladies, sweet talking the girls and they won't leave his side. I have high hopes and though the three birds are older chickens, all have been bred to the Standard of Perfection and are excellent birds.

I will keep you posted on how we do.
javachick

Last edited:
javachick,
welcome-byc.gif
and to the Java Thread!!
ya.gif
I look forward to your posts about the re-establishment of your Javas. I got my first Auburn Javas, from BYCer, chickenlover 54 (Tamara) from Garfield Farm stock, in May of this year. They quickly won me over with their calm, intelligent manner. One of my pullets just starting laying this week, small, pullet size, light brown eggs. I won't try and hatch anything until next spring since winter is just around the corner here. I'm glad to hear you have a roo and hens that are "older". I would love to have longevity, coupled with productivity, in my flock. I have a son who lives in Louisville, it's a great city, but I bet you are happy to be returning to your farm!
fl.gif
that you have much success!!!!

Later, Mary

Thank you for the welcome. I will keep you all posted on how we do.

The oldest Black Java Chicken I had, died of old age this past spring; he was a rooster I called The OLD MAN. He was from the very first batch of eggs I hatched. He was the Grand Champion of the Jefferson County 4-H Fair as a two year old and he was the gentlest/fiercest rooster I ever owned. To people he was calm and would take food gently out of your hand and pass it to his hens, then eat himself. I never worried about the kids walking in the barnyard when he was out. To younger roosters they only challenged him once. To younger pullets they all wanted to be the one who got to sleep under his wing at night. In his prime The Old Man weight 10 lbs. He became my favorite and is very missed. I am looking forward to seeing a grandson of his.

javachick

I agree with nothing but the best wishes for you javachick....
wee.gif

I'm hoping you are lucky enough to have your old boy still be fertile enough to keep things going for you. The older boys really lose fertility....I'm hoping you can pull this off for the breed saving efforts. Nice story, and I hope you have many more happy chapters to add.
D.gif

~ bigzio

Back
Top Bottom