Jealous, Aggressive Chicken. Help!

19marvinn

Chirping
Jul 1, 2015
Every time I pick up my 19 w/o Red star of give her any love or attention, My 19 week old welsummer hen goes ballistic and attacks her. The welsummer wont let me touch her. She's very flighty and just mean! I love my red star so much and I like to hold and pet her but I can't anymore because she'll just get mauled if welsummer sees her. What do I do? This welsummer really has me ticked off!

You are disrupting the pecking order. The welsummer is obviously dominant over the red star so she gets punished because you give her extra attention. Chickens aren't capable of being mean, that's a human emotion. They do live with strict rules of dominance that keeps the flock orderly and peaceful, which you are disrupting. You can try to distract the welsummer with treats or pet the red star where the welsummer can't see you doing it.

Aw:( I'm so sad. This red star has been my baby since birth. We have a good relationship. This welsummer is really a jerk! Ugh. Thank you

Toss out a little scratch so everyone has something to do, and then visit with them; just sit there and see who comes over to visit. There's no way any of your pullets should attack you! Are you actually getting injured, or just annoyed? Carry a squirt gun or a big stick, and move her off! Always walk 'through' your birds, not around them, and make them get out of your way. Your birds should all respect your space at all times. Mary

From these responses, I'm sure you're learning something about chicken psychology. Chicken society is extremely hierarchial. Everyone has rank, and there are those that take it upon themselves to enforce it.

When you hold your favorite chicken, she becomes a captive that is vulnerable to being trounced by an enforcer. Make sure you file this information away in your head. If a chicken is selected for attentions, and she has low rank or has bullies, you make her an easy target when you confine her movement. It's how chickens roll.

Old hen advises well. Do your visiting with your favorite where the others won't censor the action.

@oldhenlikesdogs has given you great advice! :) Honestly, if it was me, and the Welsummer continues to be annoying, I would either send her to Freezer Camp or sell her. I can't stand hens that are jealous like this and I admit, we used to have a lot of chickens (13) and a lot had "behavioral problems", so let's say we just eliminated them from the flock (humanely of course!) and now we are down to 4, happy, healthy, friendly hens. Hope this helps! :D

Back
Top Bottom