Jealous Pullet When Cockeral Mates with a Different Pullet?

GuppyTJ

Songster
7 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All,

Have you ever seen a pullet (named Little Shadow) peck at another pullet (named Hermione) while that other pullet (Hermione) is mating with the cockeral (named Roadrunner)? Is this normal?

The situation is that my pullets and cockerals are about 23 weeks old. Little Shadow is the most dominant pullet of the flock and she's the only one laying so far. Hermione is about 2 weeks younger than Little Shadow and she's a favorite of Roadrunner. When Roadrunner mounts Hermione, fairly frequently Little Shadow will run over and peck at Hermione's head. I think Little Shadow caused a little mark in Hermione's comb. It's not bleeding or anything but there's a little divot in it. Little Shadow does not seem to do this to any of the other pullets while Roadrunner is mating with them, just to Hermione. I can also say that Little Shadow and Roadrunner grew up together and are very close, always together. Hermione and several of the other pullets were added later, when everyone was the same age of between 8-10 weeks.

Anyway, is this normal? Just wondering.
Guppy

Treachery! Perhaps they, Little Shadow & Roadrunner are conspiring against Harmione. " Roadrunner, You hold her down under the guise of mating with her & I'll peck her in the head a couple of good ones." Hey! Shakespeare may have gotten inspiration for his works by watching his back yard flock. Ya think??
lau.gif

Treachery! Perhaps they, Little Shadow & Roadrunner are conspiring against Harmione. " Roadrunner, You hold her down under the guise of mating with her & I'll peck her in the head a couple of good ones." Hey! Shakespeare may have gotten inspiration for his works by watching his back yard flock. Ya think??
lau.gif
That's it! Those rascally chickens!
hu.gif
They definitely are hard on each other at times. Nature favors the strong, no doubt.

Thanks much!
Guppy

A few weeks back I was treating one of my hens for a minor wound, which entailed capture of the bird after a short chase. The bird on the low end of the pecking order attacked her on two separate occasions, just right after I restrained her. I guess the low bird figured she'd take advantage of situation & perhaps improve her lot in life or maybe she just wanted to get a few licks in while she could because normally there's no one for her to pick on. Pretty strange birds.

Back
Top Bottom