Jeffersonville Indiana now wins the award of most strict bird and small animal ordinance!!

muddy75

Micro-Rancher
5 Years
Aug 17, 2018
southern indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Sometime last year, the city of jeffersonville indiana passed one of the most strict ordinances of any in the US “behind closed doors” that is currently only enforced based on complaint! The ordinance states that you may only keep a maximum of 8 birds/small animals regardless of size or species outside at a density of no more than 1 per 1000 square feet. That means 8 combined total (maximum if you have enough space) finches, button quail, coturnix quail, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, pheasants, ostriches, emus, turkeys, ducks, etc etc and you better not have even 1 if you don’t have at least 1000 square feet!!

That doesn't sound unreasonable for within city limits, to me. 1000 SQ ft is not that much space.
it’s unreasonable to me to only be able to put 8 coturnix quail in an aviary that is over 600 square feet! the laws are fine for full size chickens, turkeys, ducks etc but a little ridiculous for birds that are a fraction of the size, are basically ornamental or pets. and for those that want to have a pet rabbit or a few quail in an apartment (that allows pets) cannot because they don’t have the required space.

That means 8 combined total (maximum if you have enough space) finches, button quail, coturnix quail, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, pheasants, ostriches, emus, turkeys, ducks, etc etc and you better not have even 1 if you don’t have at least 1000 square feet!!

I'd be impressed if someone managed to argue that 8 ostriches are the equivalent of 8 finches (though it sounds like 8+ finches inside would be fine?)

I can only legally have 3 cats or dogs regardless of lot size. Somehow 10,000 chickens are ok, but not 4 cats, go figure.

Back
Top Bottom