Jelly egg layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by highaltitudehen, Oct 8, 2013.

1. highaltitudehen

highaltitudehen New Egg

May 28, 2013
    I find a "jelly egg" in the coop every day. I don't know who it is for sure, but there is a young barred rock who should be laying every day at her age (almost a year). I wonder if it's her? If not, then why isn't she laying? I'm thinking I need to cull her, but wondering if anyone has advice for getting a young hen into a normal egg laying routine?

2. MonicaAndHer6

MonicaAndHer6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    My cousin recommended u buy flock block it looks like a bug giant sesame candy. My hens shells have gone to normal. I got it at tractor supply store

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    There are a couple of reasons for shell-less eggs.
    1. Not enough calcium
    2. Too much salt in the diet (if you have highly-softened water, for instance)
    3. Stress
    4. Infectious bronchitis (which you would have noticed)
    5. A bird with reproductive problems.

It sounds like your bird is #5, and her egg-laying system never developed normally. If so, I'd personally make sure I know who it is by separating the bird until you get an egg from her, and once I'm positive, cull her.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. highaltitudehen

highaltitudehen New Egg

May 28, 2013
    Good advice both! I'll see if my local ranch supply carries Flock Block, but also I like the idea of separating her and seeing. She's a very nervous hen, so separating her would probably cause he not to lay an egg, but maybe after some time she would. Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by