Jelly looking blob of poop that is super smelly, please tell me what might be wrong! (GRAPHIC PICTUR

That rice thing is just a myth. The rice will get soft inside the bird and is easy to digest. Also the grit you have fed her will stay in her body for weeks until it gets worn down very small then its pooped out.
sickbyc.gif

What is the mash? Not sure about the wheat. I think you should just keep diet really simple for now. Like when we have stomach problems its best to just eat dry toast for a day lol.

If its me I would just give the pellets (or chick crumbs) mixed with a little dry rice. Also water or course. Nothing else.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
fl.gif

Well I make mash out of my layer pellets. It is just the layer pellets moistened with warm water. I do believe mash, is actually just ground chicken food whether it be layer feed or chick feed. I think it goes something like this....pellets, crumbs, and then mash. It's just broken down more if I remember correctly. So when I say I am feeding her mash....it is just warm moistened layer pellets. I offer that and regular layer pellets to her.

I weighed her today and I'm not sure how much of a difference ounces make in a chickens weight....but she weighed 4 lbs 5 ounces. I think most of it is in her distended abdomen. The other hens weigh anywhere from 4 lbs 7 ounces to 4 lbs 13 ounces, a couple are in molt, and oddly one of the hens molting weighs the most, and the other one molter weighs on the lighter side. Tomorrow I call the vet and find out what he is going to prescribe for the worms when I give them the weight of the chickens. Now, how do I go about ridding the coop of any tapeworm segments on the ground when I start worming all of the chickens?

Oops! I thought I posted the results in this thread, sorry about that! She tested positive for tape worm and round worm. I'm hoping this is all that is ailing her and causing her abdomen to be distended. The vet prescribed Drontal for all the chickens (6 total). I'm going to follow up with Valbazen on Thursday per another BYC forum member (dawg53) as he said the tape worm are really hard to get rid of. But the morning of worming her (I wormed her Friday evening) she seemed to be not feeling so well, she seemed like she was feeling better before that day. She hasn't really bounced back yet and is just starting to get her appitite back. Not sure what caused her to go down hill again. She hasn't passed any of the weird stuff (latch) any more. I'm hoping I'll see an improvement in her soon with the wormer, but after talking a bit with the vet and describing her condition he things she maybe laying internally. I'll keep you posted on how she does!

If a hen is eggbound, sometimes their poops are mostly white urates because that's all that can manage to get around the stuck egg.

I don't think she is egg bound since I did some checking around up there and didn't feel anything. I think she has other reproductive issues unfortunately, possibly ovary problems or internal laying. I believe she is a Golden Comet which I have read are known for having reproductive problems when they get a little older. I was told she was one or two years old, and this would make sense if she was about 2....who knows she could be older. Poor girl, she is hanging in their, if only I could get her distended abdomen to go down. I can't take her to a vet for financial reasons so I can only do what I can to make her comfortable. If she does not recover or is no longer comfortable I will do what is needed.

If she has fluid buildup, there are some cases where some people on BYC have been able to drain it somehow & you could do a search to find info on that. But that's an extreme measure, I know.
I'm glad you're taking careful care of her. I'm sure that's making her difficulties easier on her.

She either has fluid build up or egg yolks slipping into her abdomen. I have read into draining the abdomen, but I don't know where to get all the supplies, and I would feel much better having someone show me how the first time.

Back
Top Bottom