1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jensownzoo's Coop Build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jensownzoo, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Awww...thanks aart! I always know there's good advice/information coming my way when I see your name attached to a post.

Unfortunately allergic to ibuprofen, aspirin, and naproxen...acetominophen is my only option as well as heat/cold therapy. Really wish I could take an anti-inflammatory without breaking out into hives as I am sure the healing would happen faster!

Okay, the picture is awful since it was taken when it was mostly dark, but I got all the joists hung and the plywood prepped. It ended up being off square by 1/2" but dead level everywhere--not bad for my first time doing this!

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I should have the plywood floor all screwed in. I need to decide once and for all where I'm going to put the human door because the next thing that gets built will be some steps. Cold wet weather is supposed to return Tuesday night, so I'll have time to plan out the wall framing and gather materials. most of the rest of the build will be with stuff I already have or stuff I pick up for free, so this coop may turn out very...interesting...but the base will be solid!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How big is it?
    1/2" isn't too bad, but you may have to 'bend' a few things down the road.
    Any way to fix it? Might be worth the time and trouble.

I would take the time to plan your layout before going further, much easier to fix things in paper than wood.

3. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    It's 8x16'

I was going to see what I could do about making adjustments once the floor was in (i.e. squaring up the walls a bit more). The floor is stable enough to handle it by far and any exterior sheathing should conceal the adjustment.

Yes, I definitely will be planning out the wall framing now. Was still gathering ideas for inclusions, deciding where everything would go, etc. but since we had a run of unseasonable 70 degree weather here, I really needed to take advantage of that for the concrete footings. It was perfect because I dry packed in the fast-set quik-crete then we got 3" of rain overnight. Everything was nice and solid in the morning. :D

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you have a 1/2" over hang on the flooring, then build the walls to the square flooring, you should be fine.
    The flooring sheets can be evened up over the not square joists.
    Throw a sheet of plywood up there, that'll show just how where the joists are out of square....you'll either go 'Ochit!', or 'we can work that out'. :D

Are you going to work in a separate coop area for when you get new birds down the line?
    Would love to see your floor plans.

5. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    The

1 person likes this.
  6. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I think I will be setting up a system of rain barrels something like this:

[​IMG]
    http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/adams/audrey/water_barrel.htm

It will involve more post-setting and building a platform to hold the barrels at a height above the waterer, so more work initially. I need to think on it a little more to figure out how to have more control over the temperature of the water both in the heat of summer and in winter. Maybe by building an insulated enclosure for them? Could heat it like an incubator in the winter, maybe add jugs of ice in the summer...

7. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Combination of weather and more urgent matters conspired against my progress, but I did get a few hours in on the coop today. Forgot about taking pictures until it was already dark, so will try to remember tomorrow. I laid the plwood floor, framed and raised one of the 8' walls, and framed a 10' section of the 16' wall. Have to do those longer walls in two sections to make it more manageable for me. Will likely be able to get the rest of the walls framed and raised tomorrow if things go as planned. Then I'll have to take stock of the lumber situation. I've been scavenging around dumpsters and keeping an eye on CL for free stuff, but may have to get creative regarding the rafters.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can't wait to see pics!

9. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Right, so here's what it looked like when I started work on the coop today:

[​IMG]

One wall up, partial wall built. I had to use a ratchet strap to bring the very bowed scrap lumber together and after I added the window, I just left it in place, figuring it would keep tge window from flapping around too much in the wind. Okay, here is the partial wall up:

[​IMG]

I'm putting two windows in that wall since the sun coming in them in the summer will not be direct, plus being next to the trees will help prevent weather from getting into the coop while I have them propped open. I'll add hardware cloth to the interior after I finish with the window stops and opening mechanism. Here is the other end wall up:

[​IMG]

There should be room for five or six nesting boxes in that wall. I was going to do the traditional exterior box style with the slated lid that lifts up, but realized that I really need to be a foot or two taller to make that work. Instead, I'll probably access the boxes from the rear. I've got months to think about it, since no one will be laying anytime soon. Okay, here is the rest of that partial wall up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sun had just set, so the pics are dark again. I have a few more screws to secure the tops in place...the board was a little warped and I needed a ladder to be able to twist/hold/screw. Too dark to deal with tonight.

So, I didn't get quite as far as I had hoped. Particularly since when I went in to feed the chickies, five of them had jumoed out of the brooder and run amuck...a sixth one demonstrated just how well she could fly over the wall as I approached, just to drive it home even more firmly. The sick rescue cat who was sharing the basement room with the brooder looked very excited about the whole thing (from his secure cage). There is currently a 30% chance for rain tomorrow and I really, really hope that the odds are with me so I can get that fourth wall up!

10. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Your boxes will be easier to get to as well as better protected from rain leaks.. Make a simple overhang from the slanted cover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by