Jensownzoo's Coop Build

Okay, so little progress on the main coop because I am building it better than my house, apparently. Plus I had quite a few other projects become more urgent, but I did manage to slap the 8x8' garden coop together over a few afternoons. I still have to add amenities, but can do that as I need them.

Lots of ventilation for the summer. The front is now also covered in fence pickets and incorporates a human door. I'll add a pop door after I get some sections of run built.

I may try to put some sort of poop board in if I find that the Silkies are bedding down under the roost and getting messy. This coop will eventually hold the Silkies, Cochins, d'Uccles, and Polish. Right now it has the chicks that I feel are too little to free range.

The metal overhang is def temporary. It was what I had on hand when I realized that there really needed to be something there before it rained. We've had several rainstorms since I finished (in the dark...which is why no pic yet) and everything has stayed dry. The chicks are definitely enjoying the extra space, both in this coop and the bigger ones left behind in the dog kennel, so it was a good "side" project.

OyVey!!
Had to stop big coop build to build intermediate coop...you're gonna be a coop building pro when done, and will have options for the future<thumbsup>!

Oh I have need for a few more. I want a batchelor pad and a few breeding coops, but those should be fairly small and simple to throw together. I kinda "designed" the garden coop on the fly, knowing that two of the walls would be part of a privacy fence and that the run would extend in two directions along those fences. It's not perfect for sure, but I don't think the chickens will complain much. It's for my broodies (silkies and cochin) and breeds that might get picked on in a mixed flock mostly. The egg-layers for eating/gifting/selling are going in the main coop.

Back
Top Bottom