Jerky recipes??

Sequin

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
I have recently heard you can make jerky at home in the oven, anyone ever try this? Or using a smoker? Have any recipes you want to share?

I have made it in the oven, but the best way that I have found is using a dehydrator. (Ronco has one that was only about 29.95 when I got mine) It has seperate trays and it's own power supply. It takes about 36-48 hours. I will send you my receipe when I find it.

I use a smoker for venison and chicken jerky.

Shore Lunch and Hi Mountain make excellent jerky cures/ seasonings.

1) follow directions on box let cure over night
2) heat up smoker ( i have an electric smoker) about 20-30 minutes before you are ready
3) put meat on smoker
4) add wood chips of your choice (apple, hickory, mesquite)
5) smoke 2-4 hours depending on the thickness of the cut. adding wood chips every hour or so.

Quote:
Ditto!! I use The Hi Mountain I use a little chief smoker.

I make deer, duck, pheasant and goose jerky

I like to use either Hickory or mesquite wood

I've made deer and goose jerky in the oven, a dehydrator and a smoker - the smoker was the best
smile.png

You can do it in the oven, use a wire rack to hold the meat up above a tray that will catch any drips, turn the oven to the lowest heat, and keep the oven door cracked open. Depending on the temp, it takes a couple hours or so.

I like to marinade the meat strips in Allegro Marinades, usually the Original or Hickory. Once I get them laid out, I sprinkle coarse black pepper and garlic powder on them and dry away! Easy and yummy!!

Back
Top Bottom