1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jersey Buff

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by benjensen842, Feb 21, 2009.

1. benjensen842

benjensen842 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Anyone got any Jersey Buff eggs for hatching?

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    I wish you luck.
    Last year I bought a couple dozen and turkey eggs are not cheap... had them shipped... only got 2 that hatched.. both hens. [​IMG]
    This year... I hopefully got in my order for poults before they were sold out.. I won't know for a while yet I suspect and they won't come until summer if at all this year!

Jersey Buffs are not easy to come by.. 2 hatcheries.. and a hanful of private flocks. I'll have a few extra poults when my order comes and next year will have hatching eggs for sale.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Dawn,
    Did you get anywhere on that list of breeders I sent you?

Steve

4. DawnSuiter

Hi Steve, I didn't call everyone on the list, I researched the closest one to me but its a small private flock and another looks as though they are out of it now... and the rest are SO FAR away that they wouldn't be able to help me out with only a few birds, I'd have to order a lot of poults or eggs for hatching again which I'm not doing.

SO I put my order in for Sandhill.. and I'm going to see about joining the albc myself soon so I can help others get some jersey buffs too.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Hugs Dawn, it sure can be frustrating. the guy I got my trio of BRs from will be hatching again this year, I'll tell him if he gets a really light one or a buff sport to let me know.

I'll be going to him again if I totally screw up hatching our own. And if I have any light ones, they're all yours... He's a ways from me but if I'm going that way - we know where to meet [​IMG] Some of his have some pretty light feathering.

Good luck on getting poults from Sandhill. Chere

6. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Hi Dawn Its Crystal from the tennessee hobby farms board. I have looked for jersey buffs as well. Let me know if you need anyone else to go in on an order. Crystal

7. DawnSuiter

Hi Crystal! I put in my order for Sandhill 13 poults... I'd like to keep maybe 8... are you interested in the remaining 5? They won't come until summer.. but you gotta promise if you get a boy and I don't that you'll share fertile eggs with me... or that if you get two boys and I don't get one you gotta let me buy one back [​IMG]

Chere... thank you as always... your becoming quite the good friend looking out for me. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  8. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Sure:) And I'd be glad to work out a deal where we both get toms (though knowing my luck they will all be toms) I told my husband we must have boy mojo in our ground because everything we have ends up a boy (wellexcept the rabbit but we won't discuss that ha ha) Crystal

9. DawnSuiter

Quote:if your serious about taking them, we can do it two ways...
    I can grow them out here for 2-3 months or sooner and then we can intelligently estimate who is a boy or girl
    then we can divide so each of us has a breeding flock..
    I'd be happy to take lots of pics, keep you in the loop etc.. you would have them August sometime mostly through the "trouble stage"

or we can divide poults and then trade back if need be... but that requires each of us to quarantine at swap time and possibly make two drives

YOU CHOOSE, I'm happy to get them started, I have the room.

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have two JB hens, but only BR Toms right now, so they are 1/2 & 1/2. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by