Jersey Cow Info

mebuff daisy

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Hello All~

I am looking into purchasing jersey cow from a commercial dairy. We would be pasturing her, and though we have raised cattle before, never had to transition from grain to grass. I would appreciate any advice from someone who has done this before. We would be keeping her on some grain, but just as a treat at milking time with kelp and minerals. Also wondering what # protein for feed to give her. Heard about a product called corner post by free choice enterprises that is supposed to help the cow, giving her the probiotics that will help her digest the grass instead of grain, but looks like more for the larger dairy's.

Thank you,
Ann

Have you found a source for the cow?
Cattle are naturally grazers and do just fine on a grass diet exclusively.
Giving some grain for a bit will help transition but on a dairy farm, they've been eating mostly hay and only a small amount of grain.

Yes, we have a mill nearby that has cattle feed....... mostly wondering how to make it easier on her so her production does not suffer. We would purchase her in milk. also looking for some tips on halter breaking as she is not and maybe easy stanchion plans ?

Cows that are not milking do just fine on a straight grass diet. Dairy animals need at least some grain to provide the energy necessary for milk production. If she doesn't get enough nutrients she will rob her own body to make up the shortfall. When I had Jersey milk cows they got pasture when it was available and alfalfa hay when it wasn't. They were fed grain at milking time. The amount of grain fed each cow depended on how much milk she was producing and her body condition. Our grain ration ran about 15% protein.

If you want to feed an exclusively grass diet you would be a lot better off to get a Milking Shorthorn or a beef cow rather than a Jersey from a dairy. There is a lot of nonsense around that since grass is the natural diet for a cow, that is all they need. That is true if you have a "natural cow". Modern dairy animals have been bred for milk production for many generations and more milk means they need more feed. The "natural cow" produced only enough milk for her calf.

I am not worried about being exclusively grass fed, just have the pasture so figure might as well. In our area on craigslist milking shorthorns are VERY hard to find and pricey, right now there are only 4 milking shorthorns for sale @ 1500 a head vs 25+ jerseys, you can get one at 800-1000 if ya look hard enough, also jerseys give great butter fat which I really want. Wondering if anyone has successfully made the switch to grass with a commercial dairy cow? (does not have to be 100% percent, maybe just as a teat at milking)

What is this cow being fed now? If she is on dry hay and you suddenly turn her out onto lush grass you will probably have trouble. When you bring her home, fill her up on hay before you turn her out on the grass. Do that for a few days.

She is going to need more grain than just a treat. I would say she would need about five pounds or so at each milking. If she starts losing weight, up the grain. If she starts getting fat, decrease it. Find out about how much she is getting fed now and feed about the same. She is also going to need a salt block.

She is being fed TMR- total mixed ration currently. This is her first lactation. Mineral wise we were thinking free choice w/ kelp as well unless there is a reason to have a block. What I am really worried about..... is bloat. surprisingly we have never had that happen to the steers we raise but I think with dairy cow its inevitable.

We have our milk cows on grass completely, except hay in the winter. We have our stanchion in a barn, and there is a tub with grain in it, so the cows come right in and go right in the stanchion for the feed. Sometimes, if they have just freshened, they will be a little nervous, so you kind of have to wait, and prod a little, to get them to finally get them to go in, but after that, every day gets better, until they are going in just fine again!

Bloat with a dairy cow is not inevitable. I have personally have never had a cow bloat. My folks did once with a cow that got into alfalfa and she wasn't used to it.

This is what I would do if she were my cow. As I said, I would fill her up with hay before putting her out on grass. I would also get a sack of beet pulp. Mix some beet pulp with her grain at milking time. This will add fiber to the grain and help prevent problems since this cow is not used to getting her grain straight.

Back
Top Bottom