JERSEY GAINTS

If you find a bator you might want to try ebay for the eggs. I personally havnt ordered jg eggs but I have seen them listed and you can always send a message to someone that has bought them and see how thier hatch went. Just remember that when hatching shipped eggs, if you get 50% hatch or better that is pretty good. It also doesnt matter how close or far away they are as to how well they will hatch. I had a wonderful hatch of eggs from texas and the same type of egg didnt hatch worth a darn from Illinois and I am in Iowa.. You just never know. Also if you go to Ideal to order chicks they have jersey black gieants and white giants under the brown egg layers catagory. Everything is all sold out for this year but you can get them first thing in the spring. Ideal has a 20 dollar minimum with out having other charges. You dont have to order 25 chicks like with some of the other hatcheries. Good luck, Jenn

Thank you all for the input and the information.Any ideas where to get a incubater that does not cost a fortune.

Try a tractor suply or Norbys or theisens. Those are the local farm stores here. You can find a still air bator for about 40 around here. The fan and turner will cost about that each too. Just remember once you start you will get hooked and want more..lol I have 2 bators so that I can run several sets of eggs at a time. the second bator is my hatching bator. Good luck. Jenn

I'm on day 16/17 (depending if you count the day I put them in) and i have a LITTLE GIANT still air bator
I got it at Tractor Supply for about 42.00.
Since I'm home most of the day, I turn them myself, but I'm thinking an 'egg turner' for Christmas sounds pretty good.
Another bator for Christmas sounds even better.

That is also what I use. When we moved in to our place 8 years ago there was an old LG bator in the basement. I thought "how could that thing hatch eggs????" Then it was in out back room when we had some puppies and they chewed up the foam.. Last year my sister bought me a new LG. She loves my hubby but loves to antaganize him to..lol This spring I wasnt going to hatch eggs, just buy chicks and then I got the itch.. I found a nice foam cooler and took the heating element off the old bator and mounted it in the lid of the cooler. I then traced around the plastic windows and mounted those as well. I adjusted the height of the floor until I was able to have good temp control and off I went with a second bator. I dont have super hatches like what I would have if I bought a sportsman but I do pretty good. I also have about 5 hens that love to go broody so I used them some this year also. I actually like incubating the eggs until they have about a week left and then puting them under a broody. I take eggs away from the broodies until about 4 days before I am going to put hatching eggs under them. I let them sit on 1 or 2 and then when I put the eggs I want to be hatched I just feed the 2 back to the hens. It works out pretty good. If you find a decent still air bator and can get a fan from a computer I have heard they do well to move the air around. I am not elecrically inclined to wire something like that up and the hubby is pretty busy to do it right now. Maybe sometime this winter. Egg turners are nice, just make sure you can keep the temp steady without a bunch of jumps and drops. With the eggs in the turnerr the are up pretty high and you dont have a lot of room for temp spikes. I had about 60 worth of turkey and chicken eggs in the bator woth the turner this past summer and the water evaporated and I didnt realize it. The temp spiked to 104 over night and I killed everything. I currently have a bunch of my own eggs in the turner right now but I still keep a close eye on it. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom