Jersey giant, Australorp, or sex-link?

Could possibly be an Iowa Blue.I have one from Ideal that is very similar in color.She lays pretty good but her eggs are around a medium size.

With the exception of the gold coloring on some of the feathers...she looks like an Australorp to me.

I have 2 of them...but she's a beauty, for sure.

I say black sex-link. I have some that are from a dark cornish roo and a barred rock hen, they're all black girls with dark legs and a pea comb. They do have a tiny spot of white under their "chins" at the base of their beak.

Hey Corey,

Here's some pics of our JG pullets, one shows what appears to be white on their chests but I think it's just the camera lighting because I had never seen it until this pic,

100_0383.jpg

100_0425.jpg

100_0423.jpg

but it's true... you can sex-link black with a barred hen (Barred-Rock) covered by a non-barred rooster. Pullets will hatch out black, males will tend to be mostly black and have the tell-tell yellow headspots and feather out barred later.

To get a "Black Star" sex-link, you'd have to use the NHR or RIR roo - that's where the red feathers along the neck and head area come in.

The barring gene makes the sex-link black possible because the hen will only pass the gene to her sons. Roosters will pass the barring to daughter and son, which is why they can not be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a good long look at my black giants this morning. Although none of mine have that white in the neck area, the rest of the head and legs looks like my giants. So I'm revising my guess to JG.

Just a question, I believe I too have an Austalorp, black with the blue green sheen, she has alot of the standards in the descriptions (I've had her for several years in my mixed flock and forgot her "heritage")...and when trying to figure out what she was recently, I noted the eye color of the Australorp was darker, not the redder color of the sex link? The other factor that is different is the darker beak color....In your pics, your hen has a lighter eye color and beak, as do the sex links? Amazing how people/experts can tell what mixes they are! I'm gonna post a pic of my little mix and see if anyone can guess? Just wondering about this little gal, definitely NOT an expert here - total newbie
smile.png

You're right.

My Bl. Australorps have dark brown eyes and black beaks.

They look like crows in the face, as my husband says. haha

Back
Top Bottom