Hello! This hasn’t been asked I don’t think? I’m getting all black JGs...

I want to order some from Cackle Hatchery but before I place any orders I wanna see what Tractor Supply will have this year. They should have chicks by the end of this month or maybe first week of March. So now I have two things I’m impatiently waiting for at the beginning of March. My incubated eggs to hatch and TSC chicks.

I want to order some from Cackle Hatchery but before I place any orders I wanna see what Tractor Supply will have this year. They should have chicks by the end of this month or maybe first week of March. So now I have two things I’m impatiently waiting for at the beginning of March. My incubated eggs to hatch and TSC chicks.
Impatient is my jam! Ha ha I’m a month away and it cannot come soon enough 🐥

Oh that’s awesome!! I’ll have to read it!

I started with 5, I only have 2 hens and 1 rooster now. I want to expand that flock. But probably won’t let it get past 9 to 12 BJG hens since I still have other flocks and the eggs I get are mine (I don’t sell them or give them away) and I don’t need a gazillion per day haha

I took a look at your brooder setup on your web page. I would suggest you remove the red heat lamp as you already have the most excellent brooder plate in there and they will appreciate not cooking with the additional heat of the lamp. The most important thing chicks need other than food, water and heat is fresh clean air and dry bedding.
You will also want screen material to clip over the top of the brooder as they will be flying out of there at about 7-10 days old.
The brooder is also very small. How many babies are you getting? They will out grow that space very quickly.
Do you already have your coop and run built? If so, I also strongly suggest you move them out to the the coop at around 2 weeks old with their brooder plate. They will do much better out there.
If you don't already have it, get a bottle of Corid, a small bottle of Poultry Nutri-drench, some Save-A-Chick or other chick electrolytes and a bag of chick grit. I like to give my chicks a plug of sod from the ground that they will live on when they are about three days old. This early controlled exposure helps them build up their immunity.
Good luck with the new chicks!
Excellent advice DobieLover !

Back
Top Bottom