Jersey Giant hatched 2 days early

Cree

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 14, 2013
Lino Lakes, MN
We have 6 Jersey Giants and 6 Ameraucanas in the incubator and today is day 19 so I took them off the auto-turner and I heard a chirp when I put one down. We kept an eye on that one and it peeped a hole this afternoon. It poked a pea sized hole then stopped moving much. A few hours later it was still breathing but not moving much. My wife decided to help it a little and now it's mostly out. It still has some membrane around its legs and rear but has stopped trying to get out and keeps eating the membrane. Should we just leave it in the incubator or is there something else we should do? This is our first attempt.

Here is a pic

Here is how she's moving.
0.jpg

Last edited:
Any reason why you kept them on the turner until day 19? (The eggs should have been removed at day 18!) I think that may have been a mistake, and also helping so quickly is a mistake as well. It can take a chick 24 hours or even longer to break out of its shell once it pips. (Helping this early is not recommended!) Getting themself out of the shell is a lot of hard work for the little bugger, so they spend most of the time resting.

Last edited:
Well I put them in after noon on the first day, so now thinking about it I think it was day 18 I took them off. As far as helping them, I think that was due mostly to being new and impatient. We will not help until much later for the next ones.

Any reason why you kept them on the turner until day 19? (The eggs should have been removed at day 18!)  I think that may have been a mistake, and also helping so quickly is a mistake as well. It can take a chick 24 hours or even longer to break out of its shell once it pips. (Helping this early is not recommended!) Getting themself out of the shell is a lot of hard work for the little bugger, so they spend most of the time resting.

I totally agree. ..

Well I've learned for next time. I have another question. She is now out and moving around and peeping a lot. She is two maybe three days ahead of the rest of my eggs and she's moving around so much and banging the other eggs around and I'm getting concerned she's gonna crack or shift them too much. She's almost completely dry and fluffy, US it ok to put her in the brooder early?

Well I've learned for next time. I have another question. She is now out and moving around and peeping a lot. She is two maybe three days ahead of the rest of my eggs and she's moving around so much and banging the other eggs around and I'm getting concerned she's gonna crack or shift them too much. She's almost completely dry and fluffy, US it ok to put her in the brooder early?

You can keep her in the incubator for tow days maximum... as she can depend on the egg yolk that she absorbed for a couple of days and do fine.... hoping that the others will hatch during this period...buut if not take her to a brooder..... I'm telling you to keep her in the incubator because if you open it the humidity will go too low as well as the temperature and the danger will be on the others that will hatch....

Just an update, she's(we're praying it's a she) doing awesome! Very strong and chirps like crazy. She loves being around us and chirps really loudly when we don't hold her. Here's a couple pics.

Last edited:
She isssss sooooo dammmnnnnn cuuuttteeee...... love the pics...... what happened to the other eggs... did any hatch...

So far no, but they are only a day late. Still hoping. I ordered some more eggs from a different person today so she'll have company soon enough. Till then we'll play with her every chance we get.

Back
Top Bottom