Jersey Giant hen

smores.eragon.willymom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
We are first time chicken owners, although we have family who are loooong time chicken parents. We have a Rhode Island Red (Smores) who lays an egg a day. We also have two Jersey Giants, one hen (Eragon) and one rooster (Willy). Sadly, our big, fat Cornish Cross (Bucket) had a heart attack last month.
sad.png
Very, very sad time for all.
My question is: when will our Jersey girl start laying (she's just 6 mos now)? I know that they are slower to mature than other chickens, but I am having a hard time finding a lot of info about them online. One website said she won't lay until she is 8 mos, but others say 6 mos. Our Rhodey has been laying for two months now! Pretty little eggs, perfect from the first one. Our Jersey girl doesn't seem at all interested in laying, no nest building, etc.
Thank you in advance for any info/help!! Backyard Chickens was our bible from the first moment we brought home our little peeps.
smile.png

Well hello there, and
welcome-byc.gif

I'll anxiously await to hear what you find out....I have a few pullets that are by a Jersey Giant roo and out of NHR hens; they are 5 1/2 months old now, and I can't wait for them to lay!!

Thank you! Aren't they just the sweetest chickens? Our rooster cuddles up to my youngest daughter, rests his head on her lap, and falls asleep! Both Giants are incredibly loving. Our Rhodey less so, but still cute.
smile.png

I've not spent much time with the chickens I have in the pen with the Jersey crosses, but to be honest, they seem a bit flighty to me. Probably as a RESULT of me not spending that much time with them, though. The breeder indicated both the rooster and the hens were all extremely friendly.

The most annoying thing of all with these Jersey Girls (as I call them, even though they are crosses) is that one of them sings the egg laying song all day long! She's been doing that for a month now! I stopped going out to check for an egg when I heard it. Some day she'll surprise me with one. Wonder what song she'll sing THEN?
lau.gif

LOL, alot of them practice the song before they start laying, and they start to squat when you go to pet them about a week before they lay.
My Jerseys laid at 5 months. When they were babies, they were all over me. Then they were "teens" and wanted nothing to do with me. A week before laying, they became real affectionate. And now they stay close to me when I'm outside, and a few times a week I get the honor of being the chosen lap. And one greets me every morning by pecking at my pants, like saying "good morning". I love mine.

We think our Jersey girl laid her first egg! Our Rhode Island Red didn't lay yesterday and the egg was in her nest, but it's twice as big as the usual eggs. Even bigger than the extra large white eggs I buy at the store.
smile.png
It will be interesting to see if we get two eggs today so that we can be sure. There was quite a bit of excitement in our house yesterday.
smile.png
smile.png

ohhh, I'm interested too. I have ordered a Giant Jersey and can't wait! I wanted a few who would lay bigger eggs than I get now (when I get them) I'll have to keep up with your posts to see what yours gets into
smile.png

Now we're worried! Our Jersey laid her first egg Monday and nothing since!
sad.png
When should we start to be concerned that she is egg bound??

smores.eragon.willymom :

We think our Jersey girl laid her first egg! Our Rhode Island Red didn't lay yesterday and the egg was in her nest, but it's twice as big as the usual eggs. Even bigger than the extra large white eggs I buy at the store.
smile.png
It will be interesting to see if we get two eggs today so that we can be sure. There was quite a bit of excitement in our house yesterday.
smile.png
smile.png

I find the JG eggs large. They are kind of elongated. They get bigger after a few months. They lay almost every day, like 5-6 out of 7 days​

Back
Top Bottom