1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jersey Giant laying egg yolk with regular egg.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Herdcutter, Jun 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Herdcutter

Herdcutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    Northern Michigan
    I have a question. I have a Jersey Giant. It took me awhile to figure out who was laying double yolkers, but it is our biggest girl. All spring I fed pelleted layer. And then, I had a duck get lame, so I've switched to Flock Raiser and added oyster shell for the hens. OK, so all spring, I would find no shell eggs that were consumed. After I added the oyster shell, we had the biggest double yolk egg ever. Since the oyster shell, no more soft shells. So I guess that girl needed more calcium than the others.

This morning, I collected an egg that was coated in yolk. And there was yolk painted on the shaving. I found the girl with the yellow butt and it was no surprise who it was. So I guess, she had a yolk in the canal in front of the egg with the shell. Is that yolk residue going to cause issues?

Any questions?

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    When I find yolk residue it usually means an egg was broken and eaten, I don't think it's possible for them to lay a yolk only, perhaps your girl sat on what was left from a broken and eaten egg.

Many younger hens will lay double yolk eggs, as well as an occasional shell less egg. Switching from a lower protein layer to a higher protein all flock would boost production, it's one reason I don't feed a layer anymore.

4. Herdcutter

Herdcutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    Northern Michigan
    This was an egg coated in yolk and yellow on the shavings. No egg membrane like I usually find. And the egg was warm, so I collecting right after she laid it. I looked for the yellow butt and it was the same girl that has been laying the doubles.
    It's weird. All I can figure is there was a yolk and possibly it broke before the real egg was laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by