Jersey Giant leg and toe issues

daniefon

Chirping
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Hi
I recently got 3 JG pullets, two grew really fast, the other and other breeds grew about the same. Then I noticed that the two that grew quickly had crooked toes. Then one day I noticed that they were walking strangely. They are sort of knock kneed and therefore the crooked toes kind of get in the way of walking. They have huge feet and legs. I'm kind of worried. They can walk and even run, but it's very awkward. I don't care what they look like, I just don't want them to be in pain. They were given the correct food and the same as the others as well as vitamins. I'm hoping that expanding the area that they have to free range will cause some muscle strengthening. Any ideas?
I'm posting a video of her on the barn floor, they normally do not walk on that surface, but it was easiest to see in a video. I couldn't get video of her laying down, but she kind of "plops" instead of easing down like my other birds. Two of the three are this way, but this one is the worst. Also, there is a possibility that she's a he! I've heard some crowing type sounds, but no other real signs except for the fast maturity. I purchased them with a 96% chance of them being pullets. Oh, and these are just pets so I won't "cull" unless it's harmful to the bird, but even then, I'd look for solutions.
I can't get the video to embed, so I took a couple of screenshots.
View attachment 1417963 View attachment 1417964

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 12.21.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 12.21.01 PM.png

There couldve been a problem in the hatch. Or it's a genetic issue. Also possibly a mineral or vitamin deficiency.
How old were they when you got them as pullets, and were their toes crooked when you got them? If they wernt crooked when you got them, what exactly were you feeding them and what vitamins did you give them?
Finally, how old are they now and are you still feeding them the same food?

They were a couple of days old and they could've had crooked toes, I didn't notice until they were larger and had huge feet! They are about 3 months old now. I fed them Dumor chick starter until they were 10 weeks old and then went to finisher. I gave them a dumor vitamin and then a rooster booster added to water starting around 5 weeks. I am feeding them the the finisher currently.

How bizarre- we have a buff orp that is very similar. Almost walks like a duck. Since we moved her into the coop/run, she seems a little better. Her legs are straighter but her toes are still kinda crooked and she kinda walks in her own feet.

How bizarre- we have a buff orp that is very similar. Almost walks like a duck. Since we moved her into the coop/run, she seems a little better. Her legs are straighter but her toes are still kinda crooked and she kinda walks in her own feet.
I saw some improvement when I moved her to a larger area yesterday. I'm hoping with more exercise that she will get a little stronger. I've had crooked toe birds before and they've been just fine. One of my favorites (and firsts) was "Broke Toe Betty", I didn't know crooked toes were a "thing" back then.

Last edited:
They were a couple of days old and they could've had crooked toes, I didn't notice until they were larger and had huge feet! They are about 3 months old now. I fed them Dumor chick starter until they were 10 weeks old and then went to finisher. I gave them a dumor vitamin and then a rooster booster added to water starting around 5 weeks. I am feeding them the the finisher currently.
You did everything right; excellent job. :D It must be genetic and I'm hoping there's improvement when she gets more exercise.
I had 3 Salmon Faverolles, a roo and two hens. The rooster and one hen had crooked toes and I got them from a hatchery. Come to find out it was genetic.
They acted normal in every way, no problems.:)

Varus valgus deformity can be common in broiler chickens and turkeys, and also can be seen in layers. Valgus is the knock kneed appearance, while varus is the bowlegged appearance of the legs. One or both leg may be affected. Some chickens may get along well enough to survive in a flock with some extra attention. Some defects can worsen with growth. Here is some reading about leg deformities:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

You did everything right; excellent job. :D It must be genetic and I'm hoping there's improvement when she gets more exercise.
I had 3 Salmon Faverolles, a roo and two hens. The rooster and one hen had crooked toes and I got them from a hatchery. Come to find out it was genetic.
They acted normal in every way, no problems.:)
Thank you!

Varus valgus deformity can be common in broiler chickens and turkeys, and also can be seen in layers. Valgus is the knock kneed appearance, while varus is the bowlegged appearance of the legs. One or both leg may be affected. Some chickens may get along well enough to survive in a flock with some extra attention. Some defects can worsen with growth. Here is some reading about leg deformities:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens
Thank you for that direction...I've done a lot of reading up on it since you gave it a "name".

I'm now trying to figure out what to feed them. They should be on grower finisher at 16% protein, layer is 15%. I've heard that they don't need the calcium of the layer, but also not the growth of the finisher...any thoughts? Oh, and I know that one is a rooster and believe that two actually are. I should've bought a lottery ticket with 96% odds that all three were pullets!

Back
Top Bottom