Jersey Giant x Silkie?

CrazyAnimalGirl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
West of Atl, Ga
Just curious, since I have so many small birds, I was wondering how this would turn out. Breeding a Jersey Giant with a Silkie to make splash chicks? I'm sure the silkie would have to be a stout one and the giant would have to be smaller and docile or kept separate right?

What do yall think? Bad idea? Possible?
hu.gif

If I did it at all, I would use a silkie rooster, with a jersey hen. Definitely not the other way around. The hen might fair alright, but the offspring might get the size of the jersey in small the egg of silkie would make for a VERY cramped chick.

I have babies now who were Silkie mom x LF EE rooster. They hatched just fine out of little bitty bantam eggs. And they are pretty darn big chicks. I used to have a Jersey Giant rooster and when he bred my little buttercups they would be a bit flat. Never seemed to hurt them but sure looked funny. Poor girls
lau.gif

Hmm, well I may just try it then! I have a black silkie roo (I hope haha) but he's not purebred (single comb) and he's a good size, not tiny. He's the sweetest thing and still real fluffy. He should have a white silkie father and his brothers were splash. If they come out looking like freaks, I have the space to keep them.

Now I just have to find a Jersey hen!...
fl.gif

I really want an adult so that I don't have to wait half a year and my roo is already 5-6 months.
Here are some photos, now dont judge his feathers, he's a very late feather-bloomer! I just tried to get better photos but he slid down the back porch railing and ran under the porch....
gig.gif

64205_p0022_050810.jpg

64205_p0001_120810.jpg

64205_p0037_050810.jpg

64205_p0001_080810.jpg

I posted a bunch of photos to see if everyone thought he was actually a rooster, and it was unanimous.

Back
Top Bottom