Jersey Giant x Silkie?

CrazyAnimalGirl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
West of Atl, Ga
Just curious, since I have so many small birds, I was wondering how this would turn out. Breeding a Jersey Giant with a Silkie to make splash chicks? I'm sure the silkie would have to be a stout one and the giant would have to be smaller and docile or kept separate right?

What do yall think? Bad idea? Possible?
hu.gif

I have babies now who were Silkie mom x LF EE rooster. They hatched just fine out of little bitty bantam eggs. And they are pretty darn big chicks. I used to have a Jersey Giant rooster and when he bred my little buttercups they would be a bit flat. Never seemed to hurt them but sure looked funny. Poor girls
lau.gif

I know this thread is a little old but for anyone still curious about a Jersey Giant crossing with. Silkie well here it is. This is one of two jersey roosters I have who are the only roosters around. Then there is the only silkie plus her chicks. They have her extra toes but the rooster's possible colors. One chick looks possibly blue and one is definitely black.
IMG_20200811_114838.jpg
IMG_20200811_114928.jpg

Yesterday I hatched three chicks from a silkie hen and a 1-yr old Jersey Giant roo. I am still waiting on the fourth egg (hasn't pipped yet). All three look like their puffy mom with lil puffy tails. :) All are healthy, and needed no outside help to get out of their shells. They are a tad smaller than the day old barred rock chicks I purchased, but they sure can scoot around! :)

I know this thread is a little old but for anyone still curious about a Jersey Giant crossing with. Silkie well here it is. This is one of two jersey roosters I have who are the only roosters around. Then there is the only silkie plus her chicks. They have her extra toes but the rooster's possible colors. One chick looks possibly blue and one is definitely black.
View attachment 2285931View attachment 2285933
That's so cool! I've never seen a jersey giant before.. I expected big but not that big. I'm interested to see what they look like growing up!

Just a request, can you check if they have Black Skin under the chick down? It would confirm if JG are sex linked id+ or Id as extended black birds can have black shanks due to epidermal melanin deposition

If I did it at all, I would use a silkie rooster, with a jersey hen. Definitely not the other way around. The hen might fair alright, but the offspring might get the size of the jersey in small the egg of silkie would make for a VERY cramped chick.

Back
Top Bottom