Jersey Giants and Egg Size

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TammyTX, Sep 16, 2009.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    My JG's have been laying for a few months now. Today I decided to start weighing my eggs by the gram. All eggs 45 grams and under went into a basket for our own use....well, to my surprise the large majority of them were the JG's eggs.

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    For the size of them you would think they would lay an emu size egg but they don't [​IMG] just a normal smaller large egg-compared to our Rocks,and Delaware's but they sure are big and pretty-once they get out of the vulture stage [​IMG]

3. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    I have certainly been egg-ucated by our red sex-links. Although only 4 or 5 pounds each, they lay jumbo eggs while our big 'ol barred rock lays medium sized eggs. When I hold the girls, I am always caught off guard by the difference in their body size and how the eggs can be so wrong for each body type! [​IMG]

4. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    One of our red sex links lays such a big egg, one of the kids thought the duck had finally started to lay!

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have Giants and Wyandottes, and they both lay the same sized eggs although the Giants are a much larger bird.

6. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    It looks like I'm going to be giving away their eggs instead of selling them. [​IMG] rats.

7. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Quote:I don't have J G BUT most pullets will lay a much larger egg when they are about 1 yr old.

8. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:I don't have J G BUT most pullets will lay a much larger egg when they are about 1 yr old.

I hope they will get bigger. I'm already getting 55+ gram eggs from some of my other girls.

I even have one from an EE'r that is 91 grams!!

9. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    My 800 gram Australorp bantams lay 38-40 gram eggs! They only lay every second day but the egg size is impressive. They have only been laying for 6 weeks, I am hoping for their sake that their eggs do not get bigger as they mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by