Jersey Giants ~ Buff Orps ~ Red/Blk Stars

CK Chickadilly

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
West Michigan
I am trying to decide what laying hens to get. I would like to try about 3 different breeds.

I was wondering if these breeds were good egg layers or not?

I want something that is going to be nice & friendly but also lay a lot of eggs.

An aquaintance said the Orps. weren't that good at laying. I thought they were.

Any thoughts from you experts?
wink.png

frow.gif
I would get Australorps instead of the giants...the giants eat a lot more for not much return....RIR's are good layers...and I like Wyandottes!
~Rebecca

My BO and 2 Black Stars started laying about a month ago and haven't taken a day off yet!

BTW, My BO is as sweet as can be. The 2 black stars are scared to death of me though. They will come a running if I have food or treats, but other than that, they want nothing to do with me. They also make ALOT of noise!

needmorechickens! :

frow.gif
I would get Australorps instead of the giants...the giants eat a lot more for not much return....RIR's are good layers...and I like Wyandottes!
~Rebecca

Are Australorps good layers? Are they friendly?​

Oh boy! Such choices. Should I get eggs or get young pullets? I kind of want them to be friendly so maybe raising them from eggs to chicks would be better.

Can Australorps, BR's & blk/red stars fly? They say the buff orps. can't, is that true?

Not to knock anyone’s favorite chicken this is just my opinion

BO are good layers but, Buff Rocks also have a great disposition & they lay better!
Stars will burn out after2/3 years ((but are sweet)) I have one myself

Lets go back to the Jersey Giants!!!
all the books I read have said JG eat a lot & BA are economical eaters but, my personal experience says opposite

All of the BA I have had were not very social
idunno.gif

(I always gotten them up till this spring because they are economical eaters)

My JG eat no more than my BR they do seem to be better foragers though!
They are also very friendly!

Ok, so I want excellent eggs layers w/good dispositions. What about ISA browns? I know they are excellent layers but are they friendly?

What should I order?

will you be insulating you coop?

if you are
RIR (Excellent layer) Friendly
NH (Very Good)Friendly
Delaware (Very Good) Friendly
Rocks are very good layer & friendly
BO (good layer)

if not
I would go with Pea comb Brahmas (very friendly), Americanas friendly (but mine don't want to be picked up)
or Rose comb Wyandottes Very good layer(friendly) , Dominques good layer (friendly)

Rose & Pea combs won't suffer frost bite!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom