• Not a good choice!

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

MamaPoult

🎶I'll build a boat, so let it rain🎶
Premium Feather Member
Jan 20, 2024
The Woods AK
Hi I am looking for a heritage chicken breed that is big and grows fast! Would Jersey giants be a good choice?? I do not want hybrid meat birds so these looked appealing since they're the biggest heritage breed.
Feel free to weigh in!
Thanks!

Jersey Giants may be big, but they are not fast growing. Because of their large frames they don’t fill out quickly. Delawares or New Hampshires would be be better choices.
Oh ok! Thanks

For a fast growing breed, you definitely do not want Jersey Giants. They get huge, but not quickly. 8-10 months is the earliest I'd want to butcher mine and in that time they have eaten a LOT. Slow cooking is best at that age. As Amer stated, you'd be better off with another breed if fast-grown meat is your main goal. I keep Giants because I love the breed and they do have good traits but feed to meat ratio is not one of them.

I have had JG's and, as others have said, they take forever to mature and that includes laying eggs. I currently have Bresse and a heavy bodied strain of Rhode Island Reds as dual purpose birds. Both mature fairly quickly, both are prolific layers. Roosters of both give a 3-lb table ready carcass at 14 weeks and the hens start laying between 5 and 6 months. The male offspring of a Bresse rooster over an RIR hen hit 3-lbs carcass weight at 12 weeks. The hens start laying at 5-6 months but they seem heavier bodied than either parent.

For a fast growing breed, you definitely do not want Jersey Giants. They get huge, but not quickly. 8-10 months is the earliest I'd want to butcher mine and in that time they have eaten a LOT. Slow cooking is best at that age. As Amer stated, you'd be better off with another breed if fast-grown meat is your main goal. I keep Giants because I love the breed and they do have good traits but feed to meat ratio is not one of them.
While they reach their height at about 9 months, they don't fully fill out until around 18 months. Personality is fantastic, though.

Cornish (not Cornish crosses) tend to be surprisingly meaty and are a heritage breed themselves.
I have had JG's and, as others have said, they take forever to mature and that includes laying eggs. I currently have Bresse and a heavy bodied strain of Rhode Island Reds as dual purpose birds. Both mature fairly quickly, both are prolific layers. Roosters of both give a 3-lb table ready carcass at 14 weeks and the hens start laying between 5 and 6 months. The male offspring of a Bresse rooster over an RIR hen hit 3-lbs carcass weight at 12 weeks. The hens start laying at 5-6 months but they seem heavier bodied than either parent.
Ok thanks a lot for the info all! I think I might look into different breeds😁

Back
Top Bottom