Jersey Giants/ how yellow are their feet/ at what age?....

CAjerseychick

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
Northern California!
Hello all, have 3 14 wk old Jersey Giants(fr craigslist) and 13 10 week olds I got from a hatchery as day olds...
Here is the query-- the 14 week olds are huge, def. Jersey Giants, the 10 wk olds are much smaller (half size?) but otherwise look similar-- just noticed that some of them have white soles of their feet not the distinctly yellow of the Big ones... Is this an age thing (will they yellow up as they age?) or did I get cheated and there are non Jerseys mixed into my order (some have the distinctly yellow soles some do not and they are all smaller then the 14 wk olds)...the only plus would be if there are some Australorps mixed in, I heard they are better layers than the Giants anyway and I did not actually mean to have 16 Giants, it was chicken math....

What hatchery did you get them from? I tried getting Australorps a long time ago and got JG's instead. Could you be able to share a picture?

I don't hatch many JG's anymore but when I did their feet (and a fourth of their shanks) were yellow from day 1. Pictures would help!

What hatchery did you get them from? I tried getting Australorps a long time ago and got JG's instead. Could you be able to share a picture?

I don't hatch many JG's anymore but when I did their feet (and a fourth of their shanks) were yellow from day 1. Pictures would help!

I got the day olds from California Hatchery (we are in CA) ....I wish I remembered to check the feet of the Craigslist birds but didnt til recently, so cannot remember if they were always yellow or not.. I just checked on the younger birds cause they seem smaller than the others at that age... I have only my cell phone for photos.... Maybe i will give it a try tommorrow (have no idea how to download pic onto computer in order to load onto site...).... They look like little black birds, nondescript- but do have that beetle green irridescent sheen to the feathers in the sunlight/ brown eyes/ black beaks, with the gray black shanks of the Jersey Giants, just that some of them dont have yellow soles, they have white ones....

Last edited:
(I live in California as well)

Sorry for the terrible quality of this picture! The little guy in the front is a JG of mine @ 6wks. Half black and half yellow (soon the black takes over) shanks.

I believe it could be a factory mis-hap. Sorry about that.

(I live in California as well)

Sorry for the terrible quality of this picture! The little guy in the front is a JG of mine @ 6wks. Half black and half yellow (soon the black takes over) shanks.

I believe it could be a factory mis-hap. Sorry about that.

It looks like only a few of them do not have yellow feet (am sad, my dog got another one this AM, child lett run door open.... and it had the yellow feet!) ... but thanks... I will let you know how they turn out....

Back
Top Bottom