Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I am new on this BYC. I am looking for Jersey Giants myself. I thought this group would help me, but I am so lost in this forum. How do I find Jersey Giants? I want some in the worse way. Ann:(

My hubby installed a web cam in the brooder box (which is in the garage) so that I can keep an eye on my 6 fuzzy butts. He then let others access the camera's feed and my little JG is the star of the show. He/she is only 3 weeks old and the tallest one in the bunch and the most fearless too. As soon as I can figure out how to let everyone look at, I will post the link (hubby out of town right now). I love my JG, I'm so glad that I got him.

Oh and I got my JG at the local feed store.

I do have a couple of questions though: Since the are slow growers (compared to the my other chicks) do I need to feed my JG extra protein when I switch to grower feed? Will it lay around the same time at the others (if a pullet)? Any other special concerns that one needs to know when raising a JG?

Darkling - neato on the web cam thingy! I wish I knew more about computers. They confound me.

Your little one needs no different care than the rest. No worries there! As far as when they lay, just like any other breed, it really just depends on what time of year they mature. Mine begin laying typically at 24-28 weeks, but I hatched a few last fall that didn't reach the 24-week mark until December, and so they still have not yet laid. Well....just starting now! But, generally (at least mine), if they reach 24 weeks before late fall, they should begin laying before the snow flies. Mine do not lay through winter, though. I do not use artificial light to stimulate laying.

Ann, there are several folks who sell Jersey Giant hatching eggs on BYC - do you incubate? If so, IMO, the best way to go about it is to find a breeder that you're comfortable with and purchase hatching eggs from that breeder. There's nothing like hatching eggs!

I have hatched several eggs..however, I sold my incuberator. I have no way of incubating without re-investing in incubator and brooder. I want several week old chicks. Excuse my ignorance, but what is IMO? LOL

Anndor - sorry! IMO = in my opinion.

Where are you located? Maybe we can help find someone local for you that has some good Jerseys!

Oh..IMO .. cute. I live near Syracuse, New York. I would be willing to travel. I also have a friend near Chittenango that wants Jersey Giants too. I would prefer the grey/splash; but will buy straight black as well! They are all so gorgeous. I had a nieghbor who had them, Kevin Pierce, but since he got divorced and moved away, I can't find him. Any help would be greatly appreciated. AnnDor

Quote:
I've gotten beautiful black Giants from John Pierce and his son, Tim. (Same name, I know.) They are in the Syracuse area. I don't know the name of the club up there, but I'll try and find his info for you...somewhere around here...

They are always at the shows in the area, although the ones I know about are in the fall. See if you can find the poultry club in Syracuse - they'll know them.

I believe Kevin Pierce lives in Marcellus, and yes, his son did have a few Jersey Giants. I know that Kevin's dad was the head of the poultry division for years at our New York State Fair. I can't find them in the phone book. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Marcellus is only a few miles from me. Thanks. Ann

Back
Top Bottom