Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by kathyinmo, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Anndorfarm

Anndorfarm New Egg

Mar 9, 2011
    I found who I was looking for to buy some Jersey Giants. Thanks so much for your help!

2. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    I will be building my incubator as soon as I recover from a leg problem. My plan was to buy some Silver Penciled Rocks and one other breed. Was wondering if Jersey Giants would be a good choice?

I live in extreme SE Louisiana and the heat/humidity here is beyond brutal! Would the Jersey Giants handle these conditions OK?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  3. eastercreek

eastercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Benton, LA
    Quote:We are in NW Louisiana and one of our main feedstores is carrying them right now...got them from Ideal.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

FINALLY! I have my first chicks from Leggs and his 2 black hens.

[​IMG]

Leggs is in the background of this picture. He is now 9 months old, and of course, is still growing.

[​IMG]

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe.....congrats, Kathy! [​IMG]

6. Billjr

Billjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Central Jersey
    Cool Kathy.........Hey Wynette..shipping any eggs yet?

7. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    Beautiful Kathy!! awesome birds!!

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey, Bill - my Jerseys have just begun to lay; only two of my small flock is laying, but hopefully the other gals will begin soon! [​IMG]

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Wynette,
    This is unbelievable! Remember when I hatched Leggs? He was the only egg left in the incubator, and I "forgot," about him?

Today, day 23 of my hatch, and I had left the bator plugged in, with the intention of cleaning it today. To my surprise I have a Jersey Giant chick just coming out of the shell ! ! ! The egg is just huge, and I am wondering if that is what is happening, causing a late hatch.

10. madrooster

madrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    villa rica ,ga
    hey guys i was wondering if i ordered eggs from a breeder that had a flock of giants and there were three diff roos colered blue ,black,splash and blkack and blue hens, do u think it would be ok to hatch there offspring because of three diff roos? would it be ok to take the chance to breed them or sell what i dont want and get more from a diff breeder? thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by