Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Legs are often the best way to tell - especially when you have one or more that are definitely one gender or another. Jersey male legs are honking thick! Also - look at how the comb is attached on the end toward the beak...often, if it looks more 'Roman nosed' than a 'regularly' attached comb, that's another giveaway that it's a cockerel.
thumbsup.gif

I have a question in regards to breeding and foot color. I know yellow is the correct color if I have good type birds with white feet that are bred to a yellow footed bird will any turn out with yellow feet? Basically my question is which is the dominant color for feet? I spent a lot if money this year buying eggs to get breeding stock. Fortunately I bought some eggs from Wynette or I wouldn't have hatched a single giant with yellow feet. Unfortunately one died today of unknown causes but at least I still have one. It's blue and beautiful. Are there any breeders out there that have yellow feet? I was trying to get stock from different lines. I think I have finally learned my lesson on taking people at their word. I purchased a trio of blue wheaten ameraucanas this spring. Everything looked right but then I happened to look at the standard darn things have yellow feet instead of white. Now if we could just swap feet from the giants and the Easter eggers I would be all set. I am going to be taking my standard book with me if I ever purchase more birds.

Quote:
Too bad about your hen dying....maybe the heat?? I have Wynette's also and they are beautiful aren't they? Did you get any from Maria Hall?? I got some from her also and hers have yellow feet (not legs just bottom of feet).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65857764@N08/sets/72157627311714994/ If you want to play guess the gender, go ahead because I am not too sure. All the pics have the name of the chicks. Sorry you have to go to the site, I don't have a PhotoBucket account.
I forgot to mention these chicks are almost 8 weeks old. Also while I was out grilling, Pingu just tried to mount one of our Bantam Cochins! Hes to young for that!

Last edited:
Questions for the Jersey Giant experts, or those who think they are: Here's photos of my two which are at 6.5 weeks now, clearly one has just a little nubbin of a tail and the others is thick and nice. The thick one also is fully feathered and not scrawny looking like the other one. Which one is closer to the STANDARD. The scrawny one is getting a little red wattle under the chin, but the nicer looking one doesn't have anything showing yet.
92936_dscf4292.jpg

92936_dscf4276.jpg

Anxious to hear opinions. I picked em out of the litter myself and don't know what I'm looking for at all, Both were real cute as babies.

where IS everybody??
I feel like I got a Grand Chasmpion Ribbon in Jersey Giant land tonight. I was setting in the lawn before sunset, tossing scratch to my 11 hens and 2 roos and 2 ducks, before it was time to go roost for the night. Picked up one of the Jerseys, now 6+ weeks old and was holding her on my lap. The other one looked up and thought it looked like fun so she hopped up as well!! They both sat on my lap quite content for several minutes. It was getting closer to dark so I stood slowly, with them still perched and walked into the coop and put everybody away for the night. It felt like such a victory, finally. One with enough trust to come up all on her own and then riding on my shoulders for a little walk.
WOW, I'm still stunned by it. This was quite an accomplishment, and will go along way towards making them my favorite of the birds if they keep it up.
woot.gif

19800_141.jpg

i love jersey Giants, she was 6 months old here, started laying around 7 months and is now 3 yrs old and still laying daily. and the biggest birds i've ever seen!

19800_129.jpg

another pic of her

Back
Top Bottom