Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I am interested to know how many breeders there are out there. It is hard for me to locate many. If you know of any, please post them. Do any of you breed toward APA Standard of Perfection? I am interested in that, but am still learning. I know they should have a long back, and yellow on the bottoms of their feet. I just got the APA SOP book, and am reviewing it.

Here is a picture of Giants that I hatched on Halloween. Of course, they are still just babies ...

12-24-09Halloweenchicksgrowing015.jpg

12-24-09Halloweenchicksgrowing007.jpg

12-24-09Halloweenchicksgrowing064.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread! Jersey Giants are one of the main breeds I am interested in, too. I suppose it only makes sense that I am attracted to these beauties... I raise Mastiffs and Percherons
smile.png

I would love to see more birds! Surely there are lots of people here who have Jersey Giants?

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Hi Nancy!
I agree with you ... I would love to see more pictures! I am very interested in the breed, and have just started raising them. I would like to learn more. Do you have any Giants?

I'm planning to in the Spring
smile.png
I'm currently chicken-deprived. I'm in the planning stages of what I am going to commit to this year. Jersey Giants are on the list for sure, as are blue-laced red Wyandottes, dark and light Brahmas and Cochins..... I want too many color varieties of Cochins! I am attracted to heavy, bulky breeds.

I got some eggs from OKCarla (BYC) several months back and they turned out pretty nice. I don't know how they rank as far as show stock but they are nice big birds. Both Black and Blue and one splash in my group of 20

I have had JG for the past few years and love them in my free range flock!

Mine lay mostly double yolkers that my customers love and they are a nice huge brown egg, sometimes speckled. My girls are black and are very attractive in my flock. Check out my website under breeds and free ranging flock to see photos.

I don't think mine will ever be good mama hens but several have gone broody and hatched for me. I have not been able to leave chicks with them though because they don't take care of them.

The girls forage well, have good manners and get so many comments from customers that come to the farm. I have sold many more than I wanted to out of my flock because of people liking them. I have only gotten mine from a few hatcheries. We ate the roos and have never bred this breed specifically. But I do believe, for my own purposes, I am going to cross my only Langshans (roo) with a few of my JG girls. We can eat the roos and put the pullets in our laying flock.

Here are 2 eggs from my JG girls yesterday. One is the normal 3 oz egg, the other is a 4.25 oz egg. We get ones like these all the time from hens that are 1 to 2 years old.

9332_425_oz.jpg

Oh! So happy to see this thread, because I ADORE my Jerseys!
love.gif

My original stock came from OKCarla on here; I inquired of her a few times on what her breed line was, and she's told me she doesn't know, and has since sold the entire flock (this was quite awhile ago, so I was surprised to see your post, Chicksdigit). I also have some young 'uns from Maria Hall, and in my opinion, my original ones are much closer to the SOP than the Hall babies (no offense intended).

Here's a 7-week old very lt. blue pullet - I just took this picture Monday (I won't use her for breeding, as she's really too light; she has no lacing whatsoever, but she's definitely pretty):

ltbluejersey-7weeks-b.jpg

Here's my blue roo, Jethro, with black & splash girls behind him, and some mutts:

chickenherbs-chickensatedge2.jpg

He's only about 8 months in this picture:

Jethro-picfixedbyDeb.jpg

The horizontal board is 3' up from the ground, so you can get an idea of how big this boy is in this pic:

Jethro-July09b.jpg

I'm hoping to find some really good stock this summer, and am working on getting some nice, long-backed and flat-backed girls for Jethro.

Oh, he is nice. I have the Black Jersey's and the rooster is huge.......The girls are pretty big as well. Mine are hatchery stock but I would love to find someone with a nice stock I can get eggs from to incorporate into mine.

Back
Top Bottom