Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I would really like to find some super nice black hens this year; breeding the blacks to a blue roo, you get the beautiful lacing on the blues (like the ones in Kathyinmo's pics). SO pretty!

Can't believe I missed this post! I have just two hatchery JG......1 Rooster and 1 hen.

bigrooster1.jpg

My Rooster is about 8 months old.....he is the head rooster in my big flock. Great boy, gentle with the girls (even though most of my girls are smaller mediteranean breeds).....

buttercuproostergirls.jpg

....and very polite with the entire flock, hens, pullets, chicks, roosters, etc. He is managable with me but can be aggressive towards strangers.

giantrooster_oct2.jpg

giantrooser_oct1.jpg

Mine is very much not the best quality. His comb is kind of funny looking and he has crooked toes (I assume/hope from incubation problem, no sons/daughters have had this issue). I hatched out some mixed eggs from my flock...Leghorn/giant and Rir/giant, kept the pullets for layers and sold the cockerels for meat.

I would love to have some blues and splashes as well....maybe someday.....I don't plan on breeding JG as my roo is definitely not breeder quality and I like him too much to get rid of him. But he is a great guy to have around. He definitely takes good care of his girls and lets me know anytime anyone (or anything) is hanging around the yard.

Quote:
Well, if he's great to have around .... then that is a good reason to have and keep him!

I can hardly wait for mine to grow! I get excited when I notice any growth. They really do grow slowly, I think. It takes over a year for full maturity, is that correct?

www.mariasjerseygiants.com

If I were looking for Giants I would go right here. I got eggs from her some time ago I had an 80% hatch rate and awesome huge birds. I sold my birds as youngsters and had folks fighting over them.

I do not have room for any more breeds or I would have these. These birds go through a very ugly juvenile stage as all of them do, but the giants seem to stay there longer,but when they fully mature I think they are great.

I am going to find the person I sold these birds to and see if she will sell some eggs to me. I cant wait to hatch some more

Thanks, greathorse. As stated above, I already have some of her stock.
I prefer to obtain other, breeder quality stock. If you know of any breeders, please do mention them!
Wynette's is the best looking I have seen, in my search!
Thanks!

I have blue and splash jersey giants from Bobbi Porto they are still young a few 8 months old and some 7 months Here is a piture of my fav cockerel Indy. Hes the blue in back of him is Macgregor and one of my hens I am also showing Mindy They are entered in the Sunshine Classic this weekend.
1737_img_0617.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry I did not see that you had Maria's stock. Hope you find another quality breeder. I am not sure if the photo's you have are current or not and you likely know way more about giants than I do, but I can tell you that I was way less than impressed with my giants for quite a while, but when they came into their own, they were awesome. I also had some from a breeder in Texas and would not reccommend those birds or that breeder. Night and day difference in the birds, but those were much the same they took forever to get past the juvie uglies. LOL

Good luck

I purchased three 4 week old Black Jersey Giants at an auction back at the end of October. As it turns out they were from PANTHER CREEK POULTRY a fellow BYC'er. They are slow growers but are getting big now and are turning into some beautiful birds. As luck would have it two of the three are cockerels. I have them in a temperary coop and run that is away from the rest of my flock. I did not want to put them with the big birds until they are older. I will probably wait until spring now.

I cannot hatch any of the eggs since they will have been fertilized by a brother. I really want to see these chickens when they are full grown but I will not be keeping both of these cockerels. Not sure what to do with the one that I don't keep, freezer camp is not an option here. I would like one or two more pullets/hens even though I am probably about at my limit of birds that I should have. I have to keep room for some silkies this spring for my wife.
wink.png

Unlike large livestock and humans, breeding closely related birds together will USUALLY not result in the deformed offspring you may be fearing. Go ahead and breed and incubate. I just wouldn't use the same male as the father to his offspring from a breeding to his sisters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom