Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Wynette,
thanks on the congrats!!!
There were only 20 birds in the American Class
It was not a APA show
Judge Rev. Roland Roming
Judge J. Robert Powell

J. Robert Powell was the judge for the Jr. American class. He gave our JG cock bird a res american. Then when all classes are done both Judges judge for Champion Large Fowl. This is where it gets GOOD. The other judge Rev. Roland Roming liked our JG Cock bird over the RIR cock. They got into a discussion about it. You could see the disagreement. I think that is why he talked about them before handing out the awards after the show. Any way I was hoping for some WOW factors I not only got that we got talked about by all breeders because of the mix up. I'm going to get more people aware of the beauty of these birds!!!!

Our other breed the Brahma Bantams won their class beat out cochins and silkies. There were 50 some birds in the Featherleg class.
To say the least we did very well. Very proud of my boys!

4-h - WOOT! AWESOME - Congrats - I'm SO happy for you! How many in the American class? Was this an APA show? Who was the judge? NEED MORE DETAILS! CONGRATS!!!!! How exciting!

YellowC - glad to see you posting here - I always enjoyed your posts from other threads, and thanks for the explanations.

Bill - okay, that splash is HUGE! Holy cow!
ep.gif
Can't wait to see that one grow up! Congrats on a good hatch - great job!!

Soaring - when are yours due to hatch again??

Fantastic! I'm proud of them, too!
hugs.gif
from me!

That's also something special to have beat out the Silkies, even though they REALLY aren't chickens anyway..
hide.gif
..but I know they typically place high. You must still be in the clouds!

YEP! Now I really cant wait!!!
Oh please remove your ads in sig! I keep seeing those nice eggs and birds
he.gif
is what i start doing. Dang how knew moving would be so painful!.
lau.gif

ps JUST KIDDING! Sooooo please dont get mad.

tongue.png

You have such nice birds it so temps people that should be watching their P's and Q's.
EDIT..
Sorry a little amped up just found a place and started the ball rolling today...
SO as yall can tell I'm in rare form today!

Last edited:
Soaring - So glad you found a place
wee.gif
, moving can be soo painful (especially with all these enablers on here), and time consuming. I told DH when we retired he'd better find a place he liked cause I was NOT moving again (tho I might consider a move to a bigger property
gig.gif
) My chickens need more room
hide.gif
I know you'll be busy but don't forget pics as you build, so we can give our "Helpful" opinions
hugs.gif

thumbsup.gif
Will do and thanks!
Now if the lender and loan and all the $$$ gods smile down on us and we can get this place for sure 100% I will be soooooo happy.
fl.gif

its a 3 br 2.5 bath on 16 acres sucluded! Love it.

Hatch chickies! Mine hatched day 26...
fl.gif

YEP! Now I really cant wait!!!
Oh please remove your ads in sig! I keep seeing those nice eggs and birds
he.gif
is what i start doing. Dang how knew moving would be so painful!.
lau.gif

ps JUST KIDDING! Sooooo please dont get mad.

tongue.png

You have such nice birds it so temps people that should be watching their P's and Q's.
EDIT..
Sorry a little amped up just found a place and started the ball rolling today...
SO as yall can tell I'm in rare form today!

SIXTEEN acres???? WOOT! Soaring - CONGRATS...fingers remain crossed! Keep us posted!

Regarding the "off colored" white chicks we were discussing a page or so ago - I sent comments, pics, and links to a noted Giant breeder, and here is his reply (he has given permission for me to "reprint" here):

It’s not uncommon for White chicks to appear smoky gray. The best ones generally are. Whites that are yellow as chicks are not top quality color genetics. The reverse holds true for Blacks – the birds with better color genetics have a lot of cream colored markings as chicks.

I’ve seen this in White Cochins that were sports.... I’ve also seen it in “silver white” chicks that carry the gene that prevents brassiness. These chicks are not Splash anything – you can tell because of the smoky color and the head patterning. Splash would look very similar to the Blue chicks – only lighter.

Regarding dominant versus recessive, there are no Asiatic or American breeds that carry dominant White to my knowledge. So none of the Whites can carry a hidden Black color genetic.

Back
Top Bottom