Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

What is everyone feeding their JG's? Do you give them treats or supplements?

I have been thinking of raising meal worms for mine as I use to do it for some pets I had. Its pretty easy.....

Any other ideas JGer's?

Herman

What is everyone feeding their JG's? Do you give them treats or supplements?

I have been thinking of raising meal worms for mine as I use to do it for some pets I had. Its pretty easy.....

Any other ideas JGer's?

Herman

Yogurt, oatmeal, corn on the cob (a new fav) I do get them meal worms and wax worms. Scrambled or hard boiled eggs. Although they do get a lot less spoiling when it's nice enough to free range and they can chase after grasshoppers and worms and whatever else they fancy.

My rooster LOVES scrambled eggs and the bugs we find in the yard, especially cutworm grubs.

I also give them the weeds I yank out: clover, chickweed, violets, woodsorrel etc. Any kitchen scraps like bread, fruit, vegetables (raw, I don't want to give them salt and seasonings). If it's cold, I'll make them cream of wheat or oatmeal (just make a big batch cooked thick with water, add milk for the humans in the household). Occasionally some yogurt, and a really rare treat is a birdseed suet blocks.

I also throw fallen leaf in their pen, so they can have fun shredding.

I'm having a hard time with my JG feathering out...they're almost 5 days behind my Aussies as far as age, but they're rather bare. It seems their feathers take longer to come in. Anyone know of any tricks to help speed this up? The EE and Buff Orps I got a week after I got my Aussies and JGs are feathered out just like the Aussies - completely - at almost 6 weeks of age. I'd read that the JGs take longer to mature, but is feathering out also included in that? I want to turn them all out today or tomorrow now that our Dogwood Winter seems to have passed, but I don't want to put my JGs in any danger since they're not fully feathered.

I'm having a hard time with my JG feathering out...they're almost 5 days behind my Aussies as far as age, but they're rather bare.  It seems their feathers take longer to come in.  Anyone know of any tricks to help speed this up?  The EE and Buff Orps I got a week after I got my Aussies and JGs are feathered out just like the Aussies - completely - at almost 6 weeks of age.  I'd read that the JGs take longer to mature, but is feathering out also included in that?  I want to turn them all out today or tomorrow now that our Dogwood Winter seems to have passed, but I don't want to put my JGs in any danger since they're not fully feathered.

I am newer to giants too, but I think they just grow slower in general? If I am mistaken tell me. Mine are 3 months old and are still the same size as my 3 month old blrw. Maybe add some protein to their diet? How old are they?

I am newer to giants too, but I think they just grow slower in general? If I am mistaken tell me. Mine are 3 months old and are still the same size as my 3 month old blrw. Maybe add some protein to their diet? How old are they?

What feed are you feeding? I was told last year when I got my first JGs to feed them turkey feed for the higher protein. I had mine separate so I did the turkey starter first then went to flock raiser mixed for a while then all flock raiser. They did mature slower than my sexlinks but grew out very well. Didn't switch them to layer until the first one started laying. They seem to stay to thin on just high omega layer pellets so I mix 50/50 with game bird breeder/layer formula.

Hello! I am new to JG's and would like a little advise on a coop / run for them. I have 4 straight run chicks which I am going to take some photos of and maybe you can help me sex them.

I have been around normal chicken but have no clue what type of coop/run to make for these guys.

First show of the season is tomorrow............
wee.gif
Cant wait Austin is taking 3 JG (1 K, 1 P, and 1 H) all black.
Austin named his cockerels ( roosters less than a yr old ) Kevin and Evan. Well Kevin has some frost bite damage on one of his points on the comb so I talked Austin into taking Evan.
Well Evan is Evil. Evan has ran all the time with the breeding flock and has never been held except for maintenance. Kevin gets held quite often. Any way I wish I would have had a video of Austin and I giving this cockerel a bath last weekend and Austin holding/messing with him every evening.
ep.gif
Ah the fun family time showing poultry...wouldn't change it for the world!!!!

I have plans to make 2 20X20 runs. This way I can switch them between them and give a chance for the grass to grow.

But I am stuck on the coop design.
are you wanting permanant.. movable. semi permanant. ( dirt floor - so not to pay the tax man) many considerations..
I'm going on the ( less expensive ) and easy. -- oh ok cheap.. I'm building the hoop coop there are many ideas. and varing ammounts of protection depending on your preditors in the area.
and i may combine part of it to be a green house..

( 21 chicks comming monday. 6 BJG 6 BLRW 6 Salmon Fav's 1 polish 1 Auricana 1 Mystery )
-- oh my its worse than Christmas.. waiting for the package.. ; ) to open..

Mine are 5 weeks and 5 days old today. They all get boiled mashed egg every other night as a treat, and the nights I don't give that, I give red worms or meal worms as a treat with grit. I think they're getting enough protein from that along with their starter/grower feed - they look great. Just noticing they're feathering out slower. I did read that they were slower to mature than most other breeds. But they are exceptionally sweet birds!

Mine are 5 weeks and 5 days old today.  They all get boiled mashed egg every other night as a treat, and the nights I don't give that, I give red worms or meal worms as a treat with grit.  I think they're getting enough protein from that along with their starter/grower feed - they look great.  Just noticing they're feathering out slower.  I did read that they were slower to mature than most other breeds.  But they are exceptionally sweet birds!

Yes they are! Mine are so quiet and sweet. I love to watch them watch me with those big inquisitive eyes. I call them my little crows :)

Back
Top Bottom