Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Well off to a show to see some giants.....
droolin.gif

Have a great day all!
thumbsup.gif

Well had fun at the show but was disappointed at the JG turnout.

Did talk to three JG people. One Breeder did not have any birds as they were not in feather do to rough breeding season.

The was one cockeral

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/Herman63/JGCockeral42013.jpeg

One cock, both owned by the same family

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/Herman63/JGCock420132.jpeg

There were four hens but they were all tore up from a roo or molting so did not even bother taking photos.

Cock won BV and the cockeral won RV

I talked to the owner and the cockeral was out of the cock

Last edited:
This is an odd request, but hear me out. :) My ten year old went to the library and found a chicken breed book. She of course was fascinated by the JG's. With this being her first year of 4-H and also being our first year of chickens period, I decided to get her some Silkies thinking they were smaller for her to handle. Can someone post a picture of one of your JG next to something that a 10 year old can relate too? Maybe a can of pop, or ... something lol. I don't think she realizes what she'd be getting in to here, not as a beginner anyway, and I'm having trouble finding a picture of a JG that has something she can really see and figure the actual size. We're still working on properly holding a bantam sized chicken, let alone a JG! JG maybe, just not yet.
lol.png

This is an odd request, but hear me out. :) My ten year old went to the library and found a chicken breed book. She of course was fascinated by the JG's. With this being her first year of 4-H and also being our first year of chickens period, I decided to get her some Silkies thinking they were smaller for her to handle. Can someone post a picture of one of your JG next to something that a 10 year old can relate too? Maybe a can of pop, or ... something lol. I don't think she realizes what she'd be getting in to here, not as a beginner anyway, and I'm having trouble finding a picture of a JG that has something she can really see and figure the actual size. We're still working on properly holding a bantam sized chicken, let alone a JG! JG maybe, just not yet.
lol.png
Mine are only 4 months old. But from everything I've read they really are gentle giants. A lot bigger than silkies, but very sweet birds. I have both and love both breeds. She'll have fun showing both I think :)

lol.png
Here's a pic a found on http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.php/programs/ark_product_detail/jersey_giant_chicken/
Might give her an idea of how big these ladies can get :)

JG's are among the gentlest chickens there are. While they are big in size they are big in heart as well. Mine are only six weeks, but I have already grown pretty attached to a few of them. They recognize me and come running when I walk up to the tub they are. A few fight for space on my arm to roost and fall asleep. Let her try a couple, if nothing else you have a couple of birds that will help keep some of the predators away simply because of their size.

True. I guess I'm afraid their size will scare her off from chickens period. But, I never really thought of just getting a couple to let her see, and be around and get comfortable with them. Chicken math. My husbands going to kill me.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom