Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Cheers for the reply, they are over 12 weeks old so could be a little difficult to put under, could be nearly need to check, 2 of them are definitely 12 weeks one of them over 8
They are nearly as big as my older laying chickens, all my chickens are pullets haven't really had a broody one yet.
I have put a separate coop in the run today with the others to mingle them, the only issue I suppose is the food. Will the younger ones be warm enough now as I have taken away the electric heater today so their first night huddled hopefully.

Where do you live(what state) at that age they more or less should be ok maybe a heat lamp if it's cold outside.. You should adjust the temp in the brooder by 1-5 degrees a week till they are at the temp they will be kept(outside temp) although I generally don't put them outside unless they are over right weeks

Where do you live(what state) at that age they more or less should be ok maybe a heat lamp if it's cold outside.. You should adjust the temp in the brooder by 1-5 degrees a week till they are at the temp they will be kept(outside temp) although I generally don't put them outside unless they are over right weeks
I live in the midlands uk, it is very mild here at the minute for winter. They have been outside in a coop next to the house for 3 weeks or so, but with a heat pad brooder, but I assumed that they should more a less be pretty used to the cold by now as they have all their feathers as you can see and have spent more time in the run in the cold than the shelter.

Giant pullets are now bigger than the sussex cockerels, makes the sussex look puny if you compare them together even though they are big and meaty lol. Same age.

I'm looking for a nice looking Black Jersey Giant rooster. Must be a good representative of the breed as I'm trying to improve my flock. Good temperament a must. Located in upstate SC. I'm finding too many Australorps claiming to be Jersey Giants around here and will travel an hour or so for the right guy. Must have yellow on the bottom of the feet and be of solid bone structure and of large size.

Thanks,

The Old Chick.

just went out to take a last look at the flock. One of my white Jersey giant pullets was all stretched out under her perch.grave yard dead. Not a sign on her. Comb was still pretty and dark red. the way she was stretched,like on tippy toes,neck straight chin tucked,I'm wondering if she had a crop problem? I'm at a loss

Back
Top Bottom