Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Slinglings, just make sure she has a spot for night time to rest where she's not having to sit directly under the roost bar of your other breeds.... you don't want her getting pooped on!
smile.png

Slinglings, just make sure she has a spot for night time to rest where she's not having to sit directly under the roost bar of your other breeds.... you don't want her getting pooped on!
smile.png
She's smarter than that :) She sits against a wall not under a roost. I hate that she's usually alone. Sometimes she is cuddled by a BSL, but she never initiates the cuddling.

Wynette, do your JG use standard size nest boxes or do you have something larger for them? She isn't laying yet, and I"m sure she could fit, but it seems cramped :)

I use 18" x 18" nest boxes for my Giants. But they are housed with only Giants, not smaller breeds...if you initiate using one this large, you MAY get some of your smaller hens deciding it's a neat place to sleep at night & fill it with poop.
sickbyc.gif
If that happens, start putting something into the nest boxes when you tuck them in at night (I've used old feed sacks, crumpled up, or small buckets), and then remove first thing in the morning. After a couple of weeks, they are usually broken of the habit!

My JG has never once tried to roost. It's always bothered me, but I guess I shouldn't worry about it! :)

That's so funny. She roosted before and all her siblings still roost. lol

My brother sent me a pic of the birds hanging out by the scrap pile. Don't mind the actually white leghorns, it's been frozen lately so they haven't had a good chance to take a muddy dust bath in their brand new feathers.
LL

I want to see pics of the photobooth!

The one is only so white for two reasons. She is filing out from moulting so they are all new feathers and the ground has been frozen solid for over a week. There is no mud or dirt to roll in yet. LOL

Also, she's a bit overexposed next to the JGs. Blanchie is considerably whiter than my rather stained and yellowed pre-molt birds. LOL

Hey wynette I posted pictures for you can you take a look and tell me what you think of them?
on page ?.....hold one i'll find it. Post #3786 of 3809 on page 379

Last edited:
I've been meaning to post some pics of mine. I processed a few of my extras and small hens. I need to pick another roo of the 3 I have left to go to the freezer.

Roo #1

Roo #2

Roo #3

They are about 5 months old now. I'm thinking I'll keep #1 & 2, they are bigger and both tend to pick on #3 who is a bit smaller. I think all 3 have too many points on their combs but otherwise, seem pretty good. I have 8 JG hens, though one is small I just couldn't catch her on processing day, 2 splash hens and the rest are blue, several with very nice barring. Darn coyote got my splash roo a few months back.
somad.gif
I also have 8 other hens, BO, Americana and WLH. I'm going to probably just use the BO for broodies, the WLH for eggs and don't know if I'm keeping the Americanas.
Any thoughts about the roos? Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom